041

august 18th, 2020
11:20 am

THE LAST TIME THAT Ayoluwa had gone this long without singing was when she had strep throat in fifth grade

She didn't sing for two days and she had promised herself she would never go that long again.

But now Ayoluwa was on her second week without belting a single note.

Ayoluwa sat on the couch, mindlessly gazing at the reality show that was on VH1.

The sound of someone walking in from the hallway that contained the bedrooms caused Ayoluwa to glance back.

Imani was clearly showing now, with a hand always protectively hovering her protruded abdomen.

Ayoluwa shook her head as Imani sat down on the cushions on the other side.

Imani was the perfect mother when the child was inside the womb, she didn't touch alcohol, she attended every doctor's visit and she wouldn't step foot in a room that contained a hot tub.

When the baby was delivered was a clearly different story.

Ayoluwa folded her legs into her body and then rested her arms on top of her knees, whilst glancing at her sister.

She couldn't remember the last time that her and Imani could manage to be in the same room without a major disagreement.

When the show went to commercial, Imani coughed and looked up at Ayoluwa, "I saw that video of you singing. I forgot how good you are."

Ayoluwa glanced at her again but said nothing, sure that it would lead to an argument somehow.

"All of my friends were telling me about it." Imani continued.

Ayoluwa sighed, "Is there a point to this? Why are you bringing this up?"

Imani blinked, clearly surprised, "I forgot you were blunt."

Ayoluwa didn't speak, simply raising an eyebrow as her response.

"Do you remember when we used to go to church with mom and you were part of the choir?" Imani asked, "I remember one time, you had to wear this ridiculous church hat."

"Imani, what is your point?" Ayoluwa pressed as she put the hood from her orange hoodie down.

Imani shifted a little, "Shareef told me something that kinda freaked me out... Did you really stop singing?"