Chapter 33 - Good News, Bad News

The knights didn't seem all that bad once Asher sat down and started chatting with them. There were eight of them in total, but two were out gathering information around town to find out where Elise had gone while the rest had agreed to stay at the Inn so they didn't disturb the villagers with their presence.

"You've got quite a reputation around here." Said the knight who had rescued him.

He was a rugged man with a cleft chin and three thin, faded scars along his cheek. Much like the other knights, he looked like he had seen his fair share of battle.

"Not by choice." Asher admitted, meekly accepting a mug of ale that had been offered to him.

Laurent sat beside him and was also offered a drink, though he showed no interest in it.

The knight huffed. "Ain't that the way it works though? Anyways, allow me to introduce our group. I'm Trevor, this is Sir Donovan. That fat bastard over there is Patrick, this is Sven-"

Asher listened as the man, Trevor, went around the table and listed off names he'd instantly forget.

"-And the missing two are Marvin and Demeter. They should be back shortly."

"Nice to meet you all." Asher said. "My name is Asher. My grandparents own the local bakery."

"According to Lady Elise's letter, you work as one of the Prince's castle servants too."

"Oh, that too I guess." Asher cleared his throat, feeling guilty for having bad thoughts about Elise when she had apparently shown him praise in her letter.

"Don't be so modest." Trevor slapped him on the back, nearly knocking the servant over with a hearty laugh. "And don't worry about those rumors. Since that letter had the Prince's seal on it, it proves you aren't dragging people off into the middle of nowhere. Though I am curious how you got it. I've heard that his majesty has been in hiding."

"Yeah um...There's a reason for that. Didn't Elise mention it in the letter?"

"It just says that the Prince has been stricken with a severe condition and she cannot leave his side, so she wants us to be escorted to her until he recovers. She also mentioned that you're the only one who can show us the way."

So she didn't go into details, which he could understand why, but also realized that wasn't the wisest choice. Maybe she was worried that someone else would read the letter and didn't want them to find out about the curse, but one thing was for sure. These knights looked like they would definitely try to take Leon down if they mistook him for some random beast.

Asher needed to clarify things.

"There you are!" One of the other knights called out to someone who just entered the Tavern. Asher looked over to find two new strangers joining them. One was wearing the same armor and tabard as the other knights, the other was dressed in a dark hooded poncho.

They both made themselves comfortable at the table while eyeing the servant with interest.

"And who is this?" The new knight asked.

Asher reached out to shake his hand. "My name is Asher, sir."

"He's here to take us to where Lady Elise disappeared to. Look, the royal seal and everything." Trevor held up the letter, and the hooded man took it to examine carefully.

"This sounds sketchy." He muttered.

Asher understood why he'd say that, though he wanted to point out that the guy looked sketchy himself.

The other knight bopped his friend on the shoulder. "It's got the Prince's royal seal on it. What are we supposed to do, ignore this?"

"No, I mean...What condition is the Prince suffering from?"