Chapter Twenty-Two: An Invaluable Ally

"Wallflowers," Lucy murmured, "Wallflowers! Simply ridiculous. I could get that girl shipped across the ocean without anyone noticing."

"You what?" Franny gasped, almost falling into the carriage. Well, better in than out.

"Of course, your Aunt's exaggerating," Henry replied with a reassuring smile, but the sharp glare Lucy shot him didn't exactly settle Franny's concerns. Dear God, were the Granvilles involved with the mafia? Did they run it?

"We prefer a quiet solution as we do not want to draw attention to ourselves, do we," Henry explained in a patient tone.

"Do not use that patronizing tone on me Henry Granville if you wish to continue this journey in the carriage and not under it," Lucy snapped.

Henry raised his hands in surrender, "Or, of course, we can go full-on assault mode. Burn the Cowper House to the ground. Don't take any hostages."

"Auntie," Franny cut in before her aunt could strangle her uncle, "Can I get out? I must talk to Penelope."

"The Featherington girl?" Lucy inquired, "Do you truly need to see her at this very moment?"

"Yes."

Lucy waved her hands as if saying please elaborate.

"Please?"

Henry, returning the favour, replied, "Sure dearest, but please head home after it. And the sooner the better."

"I promise, thank you," Franny knocked on the top of the carriage not giving her aunt the chance to disagree and quickly jumped out when it came to a halt.

After sitting for a few awkward minutes under the suspecting gaze at Mrs. Featherington and listening to her daughters pestering each other, Penelope came to Franny's rescue and took her to her room.

"I suspect you very well know I am not a proponent for small talk, I might just get to the point. I know that you are Lady Whistledown," Franny cut to the chase.

Penelope looked taken aback for a split second before bursting out in laughter. Franny narrowed her eyes in frustration, giving a few minutes for Penelope to finish the theatrics. Her act was good, that much Franny had to admit, but she had already caught a smell and wasn't going to stop, especially not when she needed Lady Whistledown to be on her side.

"Franny, I am merely a shy debutante, very far away from the notorious writer who has wrapped the whole ton around her finger," Penelope waved with her hand dismissively and chattered in a light tone.

"But you are not merely shy debutante, are you," Franny pressed on, lowering the tone at the end of the sentence. She frowned and seized Penelope up who met her gaze with an amused expression. Franny knew that she wasn't going to stare the truth out of her.

"Very well, I do not intend to insult your intelligence by throwing unsupported allegations around. Let me lay my case before you, and when I am done, I hope you will not insult my intelligence either by denying the facts."

Penelope didn't say a word, which Franny interpreted as a green light.

"I do agree with Eloise that Lady Whistledown must be one with considerable means, connections and time. And of course, a woman, that has never been the question, no man would notice the details and pick up on the subtle signs as she does. Eloise suspects that she might be a widow, after all, widows are invited to all social events and not expected to take part in courting which gives them plenty of time to lay back and observe, not to mention that they have considerable financial resources at their disposal. Lady Whistledown is very smart and cheeky which also points towards a widow, with life experience and the confidence to insult half of the ton in such a sublime manner. I do not have anything to counter that theory, indeed, it has led me astray. Alas, Marina's case changed everything."