The Way I Won't Forget

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓Nerezza Lupin-Black┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛"the end of the world was nearWhere would you choose to be?If there was five more minutes of airWould you panic and hideOr run for your lifeOr stand here and spend it with me"

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓
Nerezza Lupin-Black
┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛
"the end of the world was near
Where would you choose to be?
If there was five more minutes of air
Would you panic and hide
Or run for your life
Or stand here and spend it with me"

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

I beamed with pride at Fred.

As he stood, slowly turning his head to look back at us, I could only just see how worn out and determined he was: his face smudged with blackened dirt, cuts encrusted with dry blood, dry tear stains streaking down his face and his eyes fiery with a adamancy to protect his family.

I pushed myself upwards off the rubble we'd been hiding behind and quickly was by Fred's side, his arm already pulling me into his side.

"I have to go out there!" I exclaimed to him, watching as his eyes swirled in a storm of fear and fire, "I have to be the one to kill him!" I added and hoped that he could see how serious I was about this.

This is what it all came down to.

Everything that we'd been through since the day we met-hell since the day Harry and I were born-it was all because of this. I'd never been some monster, condemned to be consumed by the darkness inside me. I'd always been destined for this moment, and now, destiny had arrived.

The sound of spells crashing into broken chunks of the castle echoed around us; debris was thrown with every colliding streak of red and green. The sound of courageous students I'd known for years, harking a war cry and defending the wizarding world until their last breath...all musing into a accidental, morbidly beautiful soundtrack to the end.

"I know" Fred sighed breathlessly, his hand coming to stroke my scarred cheek with his hand in between his fingers.

"We'll defend the castle" Ron called out to me, "you go" he assured me.

Giving me a firm nod, Ron's expression was just as hardened as his brothers-far away from the little boy I'd known who'd never stop eating in the great hall.

"Will you all be okay?" I questioned worriedly, feeling an incessant pull to stay with the only family I'd known.

"We'll be right here when you and Harry win, okay?" Hermione promised, her eyes watery with the uncertainty of her vow.

Ron cradled her head as another curse flew into the rock behind them, uplifting Hermione's hair with the sheer force of it. George ducked his head before he lifted it again to meet my wondering eyes.