64. answers

"Can you watch Greer for a bit?" I questioned as the three of us made our way out of the house, Greer's bag clutched in my hands as she held onto her stuffed animal. 

Emori looked over at me. "What are you going to do?" she wondered, slight hesitation in her tone. 

My eyes flickered down to Greer for a moment. "I'm going to get some answers."

Giving me a small nod, Emori took the bag from my hands. "Of course. Just be careful."

I cracked a smile. "I always am."

Before leaving, I knelt down next to Greer. "Emori is going to look after you for a bit, okay? And when I get back we're going to have ice cream for dinner."

Greer beamed at me. "You remembered?"

I smiled, brushing a hair away from her face. "Of course I did. But you have to be good for Emori, alright?"

The little girl nodded as Emori took her hand. "Come on Greer, let's go see if we can find John so we can bother him."

Watching them walk away, the smile slowly faded from my face as I turned back toward the palace. I needed answers and this is where I was going to find them. 

My hands shook at my sides slightly as I made my way toward the large building that indicated hierarchical control in Sanctum. I should have known this place was bad the minute I saw the palace. 

As I neared the doors, I was obviously stopped by a number of guards, their odd fighting sticks moving to block my path. "What business do you have?"

I bit down on my lip as I glared at the guard who had spoken. "I need to speak to a prisoner." I answered, trying to see past him. "It's urgent."

"No visitors." One of the guards maintained, refusing to move out of the way.

"Look, I just need a couple of minutes." I reasoned, hoping they were going to give in. 

It wasn't the guard who responded, but rather a voice from behind him. "What seems to be the issue?"

I wasn't sure whether to be terrified or relieved to see Russell making his way toward us. Giving a final glare to the guards, I addressed their leader. "I just need to see one of the prisoners, just for a few minutes."

Russell's face twitched slightly. "You found out."

My expression feigned confusion. "I don't know what you're talking about. I just need to speak to David Lyall. I'm just worried about his daughter."

What looked like relief spread across Russell's face. What did he think I knew about? Was there someone else I should have been visiting?

"You mean the traitor who tried to murder me?" he corrected, his face taut for a moment. I stared back at him, not wavering.  Finally, he let out a breath looking to his guards. "Let her through. You have five minutes." With that, he turned and walked away, leaving me standing in slight confusion. 

The guards stared at me for a moment, unsure as to why I had been granted permission. 

"Well?" I prodded, watching them with an expectant look. "Are you going to show me to the prisoner?"

The guards cleared their throats as they moved apart, turning to lead me into the palace. As I followed after them, I glanced around in slight awe. The only time I had been in this part was during the party, and it was so dark at that point, I barely saw a thing. 

But now, in broad daylight I could see all the beauty it had to offer. I really wished it wasn't build by murderers. 

"Through here." the guard instructed, leading me into a small hallway lined with cells. I felt a small shudder run through by body as I looked around.