T W E N T Y-T H R E E

~Trying~

Expect the unexpected is a frequently used term when it comes to life and it's secrets. Even in normal situations things could take a staggering turn and leave your mind working and turning like a glitching machine. Surprises are supposed to be good, right? You're supposed to be overwhelmed with a happy shock. However, why wasn't it ever like that for Athea? If she could recall correctly, all the surprises Athea had met with were all a disappointment. She couldn't remember if she was ever left with a feel of dumbfounded joy. It was always defeat. Finding out her sister had died, finding out Nolan had cheated on her, finding out she might become a death eater, finding out Draco had used veritaserum on her. However, if she was being truly honest, finding out Nolan had been sent to Azkaban had been a rather good surprise.

But being the daughter of the Dark Lord?

Now that had left her stunned.

"I'm sorry for the long wait, Miss Avalon." Snapes voice. She was in an empty room, sitting on a chair with a long table in front of her.

It reminded her of them crime films when the suspected criminal would be in questioning. However, she shouldn't be comparing this to them—she was a pureblood, wait—was she? Anyhow, she remembered how her and Robin would sneak away, without their parents knowing, to the muggle world to watch these movies on a box the muggles called a television. She missed days like that.

Athea watched as Snape cast a silencing charm on the room that was on the bottom floor of her manor. She hardly remembered what happened after Voldemort decided to break the crazy news to her—she didn't even know if it was true—but, all she knew is that she became so overwhelmed that she had fainted right there in the middle of the Malfoy's drawing room.

Then, when her eyes peeled open she was back at her manor in the living room, Snape being the only person with her. Athea hardly let him speak before she demanded answers, and after a long sigh Snape agreed to inform her of everything he was permitted to. She wasn't half as shocked at finding out Snape still worked for Voldemort than what had been dawned on her before that— she didn't care about what he chose to do with his life. She just needed answers.

As soon as Snape sat down in the chair opposite her, she blurted out question that had been the most important to her. "Is it true?" She started at him.

Her potions Professor stared back at her, his face blank as usual, and he answered her question so calmly that it angered her. "Yes, it is."

What the fuck?

Even though Athea wasn't one for such foul language, they were the first words that swept through her mind. A severe wave of dizziness drove her head spinning, she felt as if a rope was wrapped and tightening around her throat, halting her hitched breathing. She found that no words could make their way out of her mouth, she was left in a silencing state of overwhelming shock.

Daughter

This had to be some sort of joke, right? It must be some type of way to mess with her head, they were all trying to craze her, it was the most obvious answer, of course. But, why were they determined to ruin her mind? Had she not had enough torture throughout the years? What had she done that made everyone feel that it was so important to punish her?

They were playing a game with her, all of them.

She pushed down her growing nerves and practiced deep breaths. She couldn't faint again. She needed to find out as much as she could, it was only fair.

"I don't understand." She whispered and stared at the table. "It doesn't make sense, none of it. How—how is that even possible? He can't—can't be my f-f—" she stuttered over her words, and they continued to tumble out. "If he is my father, then who's my mother? This all has to be a joke, I'm an Avalon not a riddle. You're all lying to me, I know it—you—it—"