Open Book

Maze really wished she hadn't agreed to weekly visits to the facility her father was at, and she especially wished she hadn't agreed to do them with her mother. Sure, she loved her ma, but there was something so gut wrenchingly awful about seeing her acting like all of this was a normal part of life.

She hated it.

She hated it so spectacularly that she would much rather wait out under the entryway awning in the 90°F (32°C) heat, which was precisely what she did.

She plucked at the front of her shirt, fully aware of the sweat gathering underneath her breasts and on her stomach. She was grateful that she wasn't a back-sweater—Kass used to always soak the back of her jerseys in whatever sport she played and Willa used to tease her about it. It certainly didn't help that the humidity made it feel like she was swimming in the air.

Somewhere between checking the clock for the thirtieth time and wondering if she should go check on her ma, she caught sight of a familiar convertible pulling into the lot.

Brielle's Rolls-Royce was just as sharp as ever, and as she stepped out of the driver's side, she pushed her sunglasses up and waved to Maze. Maze waved back.

"Maze! I didn't know you'd be here today," she said.

Maze pushed up to her feet, and the air felt like cotton in her lungs.

"Yeah, I'm just—I mean, my mom's in there. I'm just waiting for her," she explained.

Brielle nodded, fiddling with her sunglasses over the belt around her waist. She was sporting a flowery sundress and the looped straps of a red bikini top were tied around her neck.

She gestured to Brielle's outfit and said, "It, uh, looks like you're going swimming."

"Oh, yeah," she said, smiling down at her flip flops. "The girls and I are heading down to the beach this afternoon."

"Nice day for it," she said, and the two of them looked skyward like a bunch of middle-aged suburban moms.

When they looked back down, Brielle said, "Hey, you and Bryan should stop by! Bit last minute, but if you aren't doing anything..."

"No, no, that sounds great," she said, grimacing a little, "but I don't want to

impose..."

"Not at all! I'll see what the other guys are doing. I think Felix works today... but

Grace and Willa were gonna play basketball. Too hot for that, in my opinion."

Maze wanted to bring up Kass, but it seemed that Kass wasn't even on Brielle's mind. They went their separate ways and Maze watched as she disappeared into the lobby, pushing her sunglasses up into her hair.

Kass sounds kind of reclusive, Maze thought. The looks Kass got on their northbound adventure with the gang were telling, however subtle they might have been. When the full outing was charted and laid out, only Declan, Bryan, and Willa didn't seem surprised by Kass' participation.

But then again, Willa seemed to drag Kass everywhere. Perhaps by inviting Willa, Kass was destined to tag along.

But just to be sure...

Maze pulled up Kass' contact on her phone and listened to it ring against her ear.

The instant Kass answered with a dull, "What—" Maze chirped, "Hey Kass!"

"Why are you calling me—I'm busy."

Maze frowned, brow furrowed and all. "Am I not allowed to call you? I just have a question for you."