Y. Itadori - Failure

(Here's some sad shit for you.)

"Y/N? I'm going to talk to you for a bit, if that's okay." Itadori says, sitting slowly in the chair next to you.

He doesn't get a response, but he starts talking nonetheless.

"You're so funny, you know that? Anything you say makes me laugh! I remember the time we watched movies together and you always had the best comments. I've always enjoyed that time with you."

He lets out a breath, looking out the big floor length window opposite of him. It's very clean, sunlight piercing in and illuminating dust particles in the air. For some reason it made the room seem more frozen, more quiet and cold. He couldn't help but close his eyes.

Movie nights with you always made his day brighter. You'd get snacks and curl up on the couch with all the fluffy blankets he keeps in his closet. He didn't realize how many he had until he piled them up on top of you and you were completely buried under them. It took him an embarrassingly long time to dig you out.

If he's being honest, the movies were never amazing. At most they were just okay. However, something about watching them with you made it worthwhile. You'd go back and forth creating your own synopsis of the plot, making it as ridiculous as possible.

He remembers one time when he made a comment about one of the main characters and you couldn't focus for the rest of the movie because you started making up theories about the actor's entire life. He couldn't take his eyes of you, and did his best to expand your thoughts with his own. They were all dumb, of course, but it was fun.

He smiles softly, resting his hand over his eyes and dragging it down his face. Leaning forward, he places his fingertips delicately on the mattress in front of him, admiring the softness of the sheets.

"I think I liked watching horror movies the most with you. Even though they scare me you made it so much easier... Maybe I just liked having you next to me but that's kinda embarrassing to admit." He chuckles.

Pulling the sheets between his fingers, he sighs. "And I liked- I liked going out with you and the other students. You would annoy Fushiguro with Kugisaki and me. It's fun to see him get frustrated, isn't it?"

He's met with silence again.

"Isn't it." Itadori looks down. "Uh. I think my favorite thing we did with them was go bowling. I don't know how you broke the floor when you threw the ball that one time, but it was so loud. I laughed at that for about two hours. I would've peed myself if Fushiguro didn't knock me out. Apparently he was over it."

He hums, tapping his chin. "I think our time alone is better though. I love them, obviously, but it's easier to talk to you one on one. I like when we just sit across eachother and talk. It makes me feel like someone's there for me."

He thinks back to specific days, eyes growing watery as he reminisces. As a child he's always felt somewhat alone, despite being a well liked person in school. Those were all people he was just trying to please to make himself more comfortable with being alone. It's not like that ever worked.

But he never tried with you. He was only ever the purest him he could be, and you always saw through his fake emotions. When he was sad, you knew. When he was nervous, you knew. He didn't want to make himself seem wavering to you, but you never looked worried or annoyed. Just normal.

You never changed your face depending on his words, always acting like everything was okay and not something to be ashamed of. It allowed him to be more truthful to himself and others. You introduced him to himself, and he wishes he could thank you for that.

All the coffee dates, movie nights, and shopping trips that he could've confessed how much he appreciates you during, and yet never did. He held off for so long because he was just so happy with the way things were.

Your serenity and you smile made him hold back, because he was scared to sever the deep bond you already shared. Of course you would understand, and probably reciprocate, but he just couldn't.

He couldn't tell you about how he always makes a fool out of himself just to make you laugh. About how simply hugging you makes him feel so loved and important. And even how, no matter the time, you always helped him and comforted him.

You were always there, but he wasn't good enough for you.

He couldn't protect you. He couldn't be a true friend to you because he didn't realize the danger you were in. All of the care you showed him was thrown away when he didn't help you.

For the first time in a long time, he genuinely feels worthless. Worthless without your influence in his life, and even more without your voice. Now he's falling back to where he was before.

Fushiguro and Kugisaki are seeing it. Even Gojo has changed the way he talks to him. Everyone is noticing the change in behavior, the saddening switch back into pretend happiness that he left behind so long ago.

You were his hope, and now there's no reason to proudly hold it.

Itadori scrunches his face up, rousing from his treacherous mind and finally letting tears fall from his eyes. He feels sick, and filled with so much pain that he genuinely doesn't know what to do with himself.

He pushes himself off of his chair, falling onto his knees at your bedside and gripping the sheets. His forehead presses to the fabric, and he lets out a stuttering cry. At this point he can't hear anything, see anything, or think of anything besides your face.

Shakily, he reaches up and feels for your hand, sobs growing as he touches your cold knuckles with his fingers. He grabs your hand, lacing your fingers together and feeling worse when he notices that your hand isn't gripping back.

"Please. Y/N p-please." He mumbles. "I can't do this without you. I'm so sorry I couldn't do something. That my stupid fucking self couldn't do something."

He groans, pushing himself to his feet and detaching his hand from yours.

"God fucking dammit. I'm so weak! I'm so d-dumb, and worthless, and you're cold, and alone, and so beautiful."

Staring at the ceiling, he heaves in heavy breaths as he tries to calm himself. He shouldn't act like this, especially in your presence. You hate when he beats down on himself, and whenever he would, you would always smile softly and set a kiss on his cheek. Why did he always take that for granted?

He looks at you, finally resting his red and tired eyes on your peaceful face. Peaceful, though nothing about this fits that criteria.

Nothing about your death is any sort of peaceful.

After taking one last wobbly breath, he leans down, placing a hand softly on your jaw. He presses his lips to your cheek, and pulls away to view your expression. It's still bland, he didn't know what he was expecting.

He straightens up, rubbing his nose on his sleeve and taking a step back, turning to leave the room. However, before he leaves completely, he levels you with one last look.

"Goodbye, Y/N. I'll save you next time." He says, forcing a smile on his face.

Then he's gone, turning on his heel and walking out of the room, posture hunched down. He shuts the door behind him, slowly dropping his hand from the doornob.

All he can do is walk away from the room, the room holding your body frozen in time, and pretend like his world isn't falling down around him.

He failed you, and he will never be able to redeem that.

(If you guys want headcanon chapters then give me ideas. I'm not great at thinking of them.)