17

George's POV

George watched Wilbur walk up to Dream.

Wilbur noticed Dream's wound and paused. "What happened?"

Dream glanced at George and responded, "I wanted to show George something. We were on our way back when we got attacked by Schlatt's men and I got shot. George saved us and here we are."

"Schlatt's men?! This far south?" Wilbur questioned.

Dream nodded tersely. "Yeah, there was about twelve men in total. George overheard two talking about looking for the Prince. Something about Schlatt needing him for something."

Wilbur eyed George. "Why did you save Dream? Why didn't you just run back to your soldiers?"

"Uh, I've decided I want to learn more about what you guys are fighting for," George muttered.

Wilbur looked pleased. He turned to Dream, "Good job, Dream. Bad will escort you guys to Skeppy. He'll help with your wound."

George followed Dream and Bad. He was bothered at how Wilbur responded to him possibly joining their cause.

Good job, Dream.

Did Dream just take him on that trip only to convince him to join them? Did he seduce George into changing his mind? Was Dream tricking George or was he actually into him?

An troubled feeling settled in George's gut. Was he being used?

He studied Dream as they walked. Dream was talking with Bad about something, but George couldn't focus on their conversation. He was too busy debating with himself.

Dream looked over at George and smiled. That just confused George even more. George furrowed his eyebrows and looked away, frowning.

He heard Dream stutter suddenly in his conversation with Bad, but George didn't meet Dream's eyes.

George was just thinking. He didn't feel like he was being used, but maybe Dream was tricking him. Maybe this whole thing was an elaborate lie. Did they really need George? Or were they messing with him and giving him hope to live when they were just going to kill him in the end?

George noticed they stopped at another building near the base. Bad opened the door and led them into some sort of infirmary.

Someone shouted from the back of the room, "Bad!"

"Skeppy!" Bad replied enthusiastically.

They embraced and Bad explained what happened. Skeppy nodded. He gestured for Dream to sit on a mattress. Dream complied. He tried to meet George's eyes, but George looked anywhere but him. Dream furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and something similar to hurt.

George ignored the flicker of guilt in his stomach and watched Skeppy.

Skeppy unwrapped Dream's shoulder and studied his wounds.

"Wow, how did you do this Dream? This is impressive," Skeppy asked.

Dream replied, still not taking his stare off George, "George did it, ask him."

Skeppy turned to George in astonishment. "You did this? How? And what is this substance on his wound? It seems to be doing an amazing job."

"Oh, it's just Dittany," George muttered.

"Dittany? What's that?"

"Shouldn't you know this? Aren't you a healer?" George asked. When Skeppy shook his head and gestured for him to continue, George said, "Dittany is a plant I read about. When made into a paste it becomes very effective in restoring collagen and helping the wound seal. It also helps with easing pain."

Skeppy looked fascinated. "That's amazing! Can you give me a description so I can get some?"

George nodded and explained the basics of the plant. He glanced at Dream who was looking between the two of them, seemingly impressed. When he noticed George's gaze he offered a small smile. George's lips thinned into a line and Dream frowned.

Skeppy applied some of his own herbs to Dream's wound and wrapped his shoulder with a clean cloth, all the while talking with Bad. He gave Dream a shirt and a splint for his arm. George just leaned against the wall and blankly stared out the window.

Skeppy and Bad went to go get food. George went to follow them when Dream spoke up. "George can I talk to you?"

George grumbled, "Dream, can we please go? I'm tired, hungry, and dirty."

"Why are you ignoring me?" Dream asked, neglecting George's statement.

George sighed and faced Dream. "I'm not ignoring you."

"Yes, you are."

George ran a hand through his hair. "What makes you think that?"

Dream studied him. "You wouldn't look at me and when I smiled you didn't smile back."

"You're just being needy. Dream, I don't have to smile if I don't feel like it."

"That's true... but something is off."

George shrugged. "Nope. Nothing off here."

Dream's gaze narrowed. "Bullshit."

"Fine," George sighed and admitted, "I can't tell if you're using me or not and it's bothering me."

Dream furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm not using you. Why would I use you?"

"Because!" George felt his irritation rise, "You have every reason to. You need me to join your side and defy my father to prove a point to the people. As soon as I do that, who knows what will happen to me!"

"Nothing, George. You're free to do whatever you want when Schlatt is out of power."

"But I'm not free to do what I want now, right? I'm still a captive being held here by you. If I don't join you're side then you'll kill me. I don't have very many options here."

Dream paused before replying, "If you felt that way then why did you stay with me?"

"I don't know," George snapped, "I don't have much experience making difficult decisions."

Dream quieted. George took a deep breath and calmed down.

"I don't know what I'm doing or why I'm doing anything anymore." George muttered, "All of this was forced on me so suddenly. I can't keep up."

"I'm sorry," Dream whispered.

George could tell Dream was frustrated with himself. George said, "At least this mess is better than what could've been me being dead in my bed all those nights ago."

Dream flinched. George continued after a moment, "I honestly don't know if everything you've said and done to me has all been a ruse. Some strategic plan to mess with 'the Prince's' head."

"I'm not messing with you... I'm sorry if I've made you feel like I have been," Dream said genuinely. George searched his honest expression and Dream continued, "Here, let me prove it to you."

George slowly nodded. Dream led him our of Skeppy's infirmary. They walked quietly for several minutes. George had no idea where Dream was taking them.

They neared a building George hadn't been to yet. The better part of the day was over and now it was almost sunset. Dream turned and gave George a nervous smile before unlocking and opening the door. He held the door open and George walked in.

He gasped as he walked in a circle in the one room building. George was surrounded by maps, plans, and paintings.

It was a war room.

———————

a/n - war room?

I didn't really know a good term, so yeah... war room it is. Just think of it as a place from strategizing and preparing for war.

Also, Dittany is a real plant. I spent a lot of time researching this stuff. It's fascinating. Supposedly it can cure a werewolf bite

That information is totally useless, but it's cool nonetheless

Ok, that's it. Good night. ILYYYY!! <3