I 33 I

Central Park is extremely crowded with tourists, all gathering around the fountain and the Zoo. It's almost too crowded to hang around in, so we head to one of the main parts of the city to shop for souvenirs. 

The end of our trip comes way too soon. 

I struggle to pack all my new belongings into my suitcase, shoving them in all the pockets and forcing the zipper closed, while Marinette neatly folds all of her stuff and places it at the bottom of her vast suitcase. 

We zip to the airport, dragging our luggage on just in time as the plane departs. 

Marinette sighs with exhaustion, leaning back on her headrest with a thump. Adrien and Nino play on their phones for a good hour before falling asleep, while Juleka and Rose binge watch the entire Stranger Things series. 

...

'Ugh, I don't want to leave,' Alya complains after two hours have passed, slumping in her seat with a groan. 'I don't want to go back to school in a month.' 

'Neither do I,' I say, wrinkling my nose. 'But at least you can update the Ladyblog when we get back home.' 

'True,' Alya's eyebrows crease. 'Just thinking about all the schoolwork makes me want to die.'

Mari's face shows the exact same emotion, though she looks slightly sick, her face a pale shade of green. 

'Mari, are you okay?' I frown at her with concern. Marinette opens her mouth to say something, but jumps up, rushing to the bathroom. Alya and I exchange glances, following her and standing at the door. 

'Marinette?' Alya raps her knuckles very gently against the barrier. 'Are you alright.' 

'I don't-' A loud retching noise comes from inside, then the sound of the toilet flushing. 'I think-' Mari sniffs. '-I think I picked up some kind of stomach flu.' 

'You aren't pregnant right?' I narrow my eyes across the plane at Luka, who looks slightly taken aback at this sudden glare. He shrugs at me, with a look that plainly says 'what's the problem?'

Marinette laughs feebly. 'No-of course not.' She opens the door. 'I would never.' 

'Are you sure you're okay for now though?' Alya asks. 

'Yeah-' Mari says weakly. 

But this claim turns out to be a lie, as the rest of the plane ride is a constant struggle of Marinette having to go back to the washroom to throw up. Luka brings her like five cups of chicken soup from the flight attendant's cart, and Alya and I take turns bringing her water and juice. Even Tikki flits out of Marinette's pocket a couple of times, regarding her owner with a very concerned expression. 

'Marinette,' She squeaks quietly while everyone is sleeping. 

Marinette herself is collapsed on Luka's shoulder, dead to the world. 

'She's sleeping Tikki,' I whisper. 'Is there something you need?' 

'It's just that, what if someone gets akumatized, and Marinette isn't well enough to stop them? Surely that would be a disaster.' 

'There's always Cat Noir,' I point out.' 

Tikki nods. 'But Cat Noir can't deakumatize.' 

I sigh. 'That's true. Hopefully Marinette will be better by then.'