Late Night Talks

I was sleeping peacefully until I felt a hand on my cheek. I groaned and moved my head farther into my pillow and got comfortable again. I was about to fall back asleep when the hand was placed back on my cheek. "(Y/n)." A low and horse voice said followed by a couple of sniffles. I opened one of my eyes and I was met by a dim blue light coming from a small vial.

I trailed the hand holding the vial up to the mystery persons face and it was none other than Varian. I rubbed one of my eyes and sat up on my arm. "Varian? What are you doing in here?" I asked with an equally hoarse voice as his. When I stopped rubbing my eyes I noticed tears falling down his cheeks. "C-can I sleep in here with you tonight?" He asked softly while wiping his eyes quickly. I nodded and scotched over in my small sleeping space and pulled the covers back so he could crawl in with me.

He was quick to wrap his arms around my waist and laid his head on my chest. I could feel my nightshirt getting wet from his tears. "Do you wanna talk about it?" I asked softly as I wrapped one arm around his back and the other gently rested on top of his head letting my fingers comb through his messy black and blue hair. He shook his head no into my chest and continued to sob silently. I gave the top of his head a gently kiss letting my lips linger for a few seconds and held him even tighter to myself.

"Everything's going to be okay. I'm here for you no matter what Varian." I felt him hold onto me even tighter as he cried harder into my chest. "I can promise you that I'm not going anywhere any time soon. I know things don't seem that great right now, and I know there's a lot going on in that big smart brain of yours. Please know that I'm here for you whenever you need me." I placed another soft kiss onto his head.

"I still have really bad nightmares too, love." I said softly and Varian raised his head slightly to look up at me. I stared at his big puffy eyes with large bags under them, his nose was runny, and he had tears staining his freckled cheeks. "Y-you do?" He asked and I nodded. "I have them about my mom, about the demon, about losing the ones I love. Just about everything that scares me to death shows up in my nightmares, but you have to not let them control your life, Sapphs." I said while I offered him a soft smile.

"B-but I-I've done horrible a-and un-unforgivable things. A-and th-they show up all th-the time." He said hiccuping a little from how much he was crying. I used one of my hands to wipe away his tears with my thumb. "I'm not saying that what you did wasn't bad, because it was. But you have to remember that that wasn't all you either. I know the others don't really trust you yet because of what happened, but they also don't understand what happens inside someone's head during that kind of situation. Sadly, we both know what that feels like. It's terrifying." I said and held one of his cheeks in my hand so he would still look at me.

"It's so hard being in that kind of situation especially with something as powerful as Zhan Tiri." I said and Varian nodded following along to what I was saying. I sighed and bit my lip softly before continuing. "When Zhan Tiri took over me when I was very little, I..." I took a deep breathe before continuing. "I almost killed my mother without even knowing it." I said and Varian stared up at me with wide eyes.

"She was persuasive, a-and I was just a little kid. She told me that to make my mom proud of me that I should let her use my body. She said that I would never be able to do it on my own and I needed to take the chance before it left forever. I-I let her into my body a-and...um...I-I was thrown into some kind of cage in my own head." I paused for a few seconds to try and figure out how to explain everything. Varian was staring up at me wide eyed and waiting for me to continue.

"I-I was so scared th-that I-I...I shut down...completely. I-I didn't know what to do. There was a-a big window thing a-and it let me see through my own eyes, a-and I-I was doing horrible things. Buildings were on fire, vines trapped people, ice froze the ground, a-and my mother saw everything. When it was time for Zhan Tiri to go after my mother, I panicked." I said softly and stared up above me and blinked a few times to try and get rid of any tears.

"I-I was scared that she would use everything that I had seen against my mom, s-so I-I blocked it out from myself. I-if I couldn't use magic, th-then neither could she. I-I unknowingly gave my mom time to get Zhan Tiri out of my body." I said softly still running one of my hands through Varian's hair. "I'm sorry." Varian said softly and I shrugged my shoulders. "It couldn't have been helped. I'm sorry I let Zhan Tiri get to you. She made a threat to go after you, b-but I didn't take it seriously. I-I should have taken precautions to keep you safe. It's my fault she even got to you in the first place." I said the last part quieter and I felt a couple tears roll down my cheeks.

"It's not your fault." Varian said softly as he wiped away one of my tears. "I'm sorry you had to go through a possession." I said. "I'm sorry you had to go through one too." Varian said resting his head on his hand as he looked up at me. "They're not fun." I said and offered a soft laugh and Varian returned it thankfully. "No they're not. But hey, a first time for everything." He said and I giggled. "Next time I let someone take over my body, I hope it's either Persephone or Hades." I said and Varian laughed softly. "Isn't Hades the god of death?" He asked and I rolled my eyes. "No Hades rules and regulates the underworld. Death is the god of death. It's literally his name." I said and Varian smiled softly at me.

We talked about random things for awhile until I started yawning and nodding off to sleep. "You can go to sleep, love." Varian said and I blushed at the new nickname. "But I want to talk to you. Plus you're not even tired." I said as I yawned once more. "Actually, I'm emotionally and physically exhausted." Varian said and he pulled me closer to him by my waist. "We should probably go to sleep, huh?" He asked and I nodded my head into his chest. "Goodnight, milady." "Goodnight, Sapphires." With that we fell asleep in each other's arms.