23

The day had gone by relatively quickly. It was a Tuesday which was one of the slowest days of the week. Kenma personally liked the slow days. Things were more relaxing on those days and it was more his style. Quick days were fine but it seemed like everyday things were getting busier so he appreciated the slow days even more now.

It was reaching close to closing time but Kenma was planning on staying a little later than usual. He was finishing up his most recent portrait of Akaashi and was confident he could get it done before it got too late. Akaashi wanted to argue with him but decided that it was alright.

Everyone had already left for the night besides Oikawa who was taking care of the front. More likely than not he would come sit with Kenma in the back after his shift was done. Since Oikawa began working at the gallery he picked up drawing. It was so cute when he first got a sketchbook and flaunted it off to Kenma. The latter thought it was cool but he had no plans of telling Oikawa that. After Oikawa got interested in drawing he began staying late with Kenma for an hour two and would sit and draw while Kenma painted. If he needed help Kenma had no problem giving him advice. Kenma was Oikawa's first friend in town and Oikawa was Kenma's first friend outside of colleagues. Drawing was how they managed to stay connected.

Kenma was trying his best to get the painting done when a knock at the door broke his focus. It crept open and Oikawa stuck his head in a little. "Someone is here looking to buy something." He said, turning away after seeing Kenma nod.

Kenma stood straight up and stretched his arms hearing a few pops from his shoulders and back from slouching so much. He made his way from his studio to see two very familiar men standing at the desk talking. The black-haired man was watching closely as his blond counterpart was talking excitedly about something.

Kenma walked directly to the familiar couple. "Hello Sakusa, Atsumu." They both turned to the shorter boy.

"Hello, Pudding-kun!" Atsumu said. Kenma questioned the new nickname that was now thrust upon him. Especially the use of -kun when Kenma didn't consider himself close to the other two.

"Hi... you both wanted to purchase something?" Kenma internally cringed at how he had just sounded. Sure he was the boss but he could still use some practice with his people skills and it showed. Sakusa lightly flicked Atsumu's temple and whispered about making Kenma uncomfortable. Even though the couple was clearly in love they still bickered. "No no, it's fine," Kenma said. Atsumu stood triumphantly as Sakusa just shook his head at his boyfriend.

"As you said, yes we are here to purchase something. It's my parent's 50th wedding anniversary." Kenma nodded at Sakusa.

After talking a bit about his parents and what their house was like Kenma showed the other boys around the building. Sakusa was more focused on the practicality of the painting. Wanting to make sure the colors would go well and knowing the dimensions of it to ensure it would look nice in his parent's house. Atsumu on the other hand focused on the story behind the painting. Asking questions on where each place was. Kenma had no way of answering his questions since they weren't painted by him.

It was quite the adventure shopping with both of them. Kenma had to wonder how Bokuto's team worked so well together. All of their personalities were so different. Which did make for a more diverse team but that could also make for more trouble. Ultimately though the boys found a painting they liked and Kenma brought it to the back to be packaged and ready to be picked up the next day.

Kenma walked the boys out and walked back inside to Oikawa cleaning off the desk and pulling the keys out to lock the front door. "Is it alright if I stay late with you again?" Oikawa asked, walking and locking the front doors.

"You can stay back whenever, you know that." Oikawa indeed knew that but still, some part of him felt it was more respectful to ask. He knew Kenma was very particular with boundaries so he never wanted to overstep them.

"Sorry sorry! Let's go Pudding-kun" He said with a smirk quoting Atsumu. Kenma sent a glair straight into the other's eyes. Oikawa found the nickname cute and Kenma was sure he'd be hearing it a lot more from now on. That just made him so ecstatic. "Oh yeah, pudding-kun I saw the new paintings from the rich man. They're pretty good."

Kenma hummed. They were good "It was a little excessive he had us drive all the way down there...the trip was ok though." Kenma said getting a little quiet with the end of his sentence.

"Oh ho, did something happen?" Kenma knew what he was implying. He was aware who Kenma had accompanied him down there. As well as where they had stayed.

Kenma shrugged "Maybe." He smirked a little knowing that answer would only give Oikawa more questions. Ones that he had no intention of answering.

...

Kenma and Oikawa got in their comfortable groove in the studio. They had some slightly more upbeat music playing. Oikawa claimed that classical music 'ruined his creative flow.' Therefore making his drawings worse. Kenma had the heart to tell him it wasn't the music but rather his ability. He knew that was a dick move though so he refrained from any comments. True or not.

Kenma liked these nights. Even if he was away from his boyfriends he was still having a good time. And, unlike in the past, he was looking forward to going home and seeing them. Days were moving by so fast Kenma couldn't keep up with them.

He focused on every stroke he was making on the painting. The small highlights in Akaashis eyes. The way his hair curled and how soft it looked even though it was just a painting. Akaashi was beautiful and Kenma believed that with everything he had. Kenma was focused on the painting of his lover; he almost missed the ringing of his phone.

"Kenma! Phone." Kenma turned to Oikawa and looked down at his phone. Sure enough, the name of the person he was thinking about in-depth was calling him. He accepted the call.

"Hi Kashi, what's up?"

There was no voice on the other line for a few seconds. Kenma was about to hang up before he heard his lover's voice.

"Kenma, I need you to know everything is ok, but Bokuto got injured. He's currently in the hospital."

Kenma couldn't hear anything else as the phone dropped from his hands thumping onto the floor just a few feet below him. He had to leave now.