Chapter 58

Serena had been awake for three days and was pretty much back to her normal self.

With some of Magnus's magic coupled with a few iratze runes, she was back to fighting form much faster than expected. Her family still walked on eggshells around her, save for Robert and Maryse who'd returned to Idris, but Meliorn didn't, so that's who she had been sparring with, slowly getting more and more intense as she'd healed.

And much to Alec's and Jace's dismay, she'd been asked by Aldertree to accompany Izzy and Clary to the Iron Sister's citadel.

It had been a big debate between the three, but in the end, they were ok with it for several reasons.

1. Even Meliorn had deemed that she was fully able to protect herself once more and had returned to the Seelie Court to deliver the news to his Queen.

2. She'd be with Izzy and Clary in one of the safest, if not the safest, place in the world, with some of the most hardened and experienced warriors to ever exist.

3. Serena had been cleared by her medic and by Magnus as a picture of health despite some worries that she'd recovered too quickly.

4. It was Serena's choice to go and she was just about ready to kick both their asses if they kept disagreeing with her.

After trying to help Clary figure what the rune she drew when she shot sunlight out of her hand was with no luck, Jace gave his sister a long hug, finally able to hug her properly without fear of hurting her.

Alec had been even more reluctant to let go of her. But after pointing out that she always kept her promise and came back to him every time, he let her go with a long goodbye kiss.

Izzy who had been in awe of the Iron Sisters her entire life gaped when she beheld the Citadel after they'd stepped from the portal. She'd even wanted to become an Iron Sister until she'd discovered that she'd have to swear off boys. Safe to say she swiftly abandoned that idea, but she was still in awe of the Sisters. 

Serena had only ever seen pictures of it. The Iron Sisters never took guests other than potential recruits unless absolutely necessary.

"This is more amazing than I imagined," Izzy said as they trekked to the gate made of Adamas blades. "I can't believe I'm actually going inside," she marvelled, and Serena smiled at her.

The bell then tolled, its high-pitched ringing making the girls flinch before they were surrounded by Iron Sisters, spears aimed at them.

"Speak your names," one of them ordered.

"Isabelle Lightwood."

"Serena Lightwood."

"Clary Fairchild."

They stiffened.

"Valentine's daughters," another said.

"Your father killed the Silent Brothers. He's taken our most valuable weapon. You must leave immediately."

"Clary and Serena have done nothing wrong," Izzy defended.

"Allow me," asked the voice that had identified them as Valentine's daughters and the girls spun. "What answers do you seek?"

"Why did Valentine go to all that trouble to steal the Soul Sword?" Izzy asked but a Sister shook her head, a sign to the rest of the Sisters to not answer.

"Look, Valentine might be blood-related to me, but he is not my father. I was raised by the Lightwoods. My name is Lightwood. I am the Clave Envoy to Downworlders. I'm the furthest from Valentine you could get," Serena said as she lifted her arms, showcasing herself and Izzy smiled at her proudly before the Sisters turned on Clary.

"Yes, Valentine is my father, but that man killed my mother. He experimented on my brother. I want to stop him more than anyone. And if we have any chance at defeating him, we need your help."

The Sister's lowered their weapons as one spoke.

"We will help you, but only if you can pass the purity trial."