14| Right

Nora

We parted ways a while later as he went over to meet his associates, and I went over to meet mine. I was his date for the night, but I would've come even if I wasn't. This dinner was important for my company. It was the time of the year where rivalries could be sorted out. Charlie had a few.

I met the man himself the moment Nicolas left me. He gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Nora, it's so good to see you."

"You too." I smiled at my boss.

"Mr Rhode has a lot many good things to say about you." He said and smiled. It was then I noticed Jasper Rhode standing next to him.

"She is good at what she does." He nodded. 

"What can I say," Charlie shrugged. "I hire the best."

"Thank you." I gave an appreciative nod. "It does mean a lot."

"I'm afraid we'll have to take our leave." Charlie said. "But it was nice running into you. Nora?" He raised an eyebrow at me and gave me a hand. I gave Jasper a last smile, and turned around.

"Did you speak to Garret Samuels?" Charlie murmured in my ear.

"No, why?"

"We need to strike a deal with him. It's millions." 

"I'm on it."

"Take him with you." He motioned to Jack, who was talking to a pretty lady at the far end of the room. He gave her a firm handshake, then made his way to us. Charlie briefed him about the situation and he nodded, giving me a hand as we walked over. 

An hour later I stood at the bar, drowning a glass of champagne down my throat. I saw a shadow, a big one. I tucked my hair behind my ear, smiling, and turning around. My smile dropped instantly when I registered the person standing in front of me. "Nathan."

"Nora." He smiled. "It's been a while."

"It has." I mused.

"Charlie told me you refused to draft an agreement. That disappointed me." He still had the smile on his face. He was trying to intimidate me. I wasn't though.

"We all know I don't do illegal, Nathan."

"I was hoping you'd make an exception for me." He grinned. "You did a few years ago."

I gripped the glass tightly, feeling my cool slip. "Are you trying to convince me to do it? Because I won't."

"Still stubborn, I see." He drawled. "Nah, I wanted to ask you for a dance."

And then before I could reply, an arm snaked around my waist, a very possessive arm. I was pulled into a hard chest, my mouth watering again at the rich scent that came off him. He gave Nathan a hand, "Nicolas Reid. I don't think we've met before."

Nathan eyed the hand, then gave him a firm shake. "Nathan Razer. I don't think we have." Then he raised an eyebrow at me. "Nora, a dance?"

"I'm afraid my girlfriend reserves her first dance for me." Nicolas smiled at him, but there was no warmth in it. It was challenging, cold, hard. "You could have the next."

I didn't hear the response. I was too caught up at the endearment he'd used for me. Girlfriend. I was hyperventilating from the inside and trying my best to not show it. Nico's arm tightened around me, as if he knew what I was thinking. When he walked towards the floor, I walked with him in a daze.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." He said to me as he grabbed my arms and placed them around his neck.

"Girlfriend?" I asked.