Chapter 59

Since the answers they sought lied within the Citadel, the girls had to be tested to ensure that no demonic impurities passed through.

Serena's heart hammered a million miles a minute as they prepared for the trial. They were to lie in a pool, where the waters were charged with heavenly energy that would destroy any demonic essences on contact. And seeing as how Serena and her brother both had demon blood, she could die from this.

Alec on the other hand was being distracted by Magnus, lest he worries about his wife who didn't even have a weeks' distance between her and a life-threatening injury. They were playing pool in one of Magnus's favourite Downworld bars that he'd taken Serena to a few times, the Hunter's Moon. And Alec was losing despite his impeccable archery aim, which didn't seem to apply in pool.

Jace on the other hand was being hounded by Aldertree who was pestering him about why he and Clary were studying the Greybook, saying that his demon blood made him impossible to trust.

And Jace's anger rose sky-high when Aldertree said that even though Serena had demon blood, she never showed signs of it affecting her. And he dropped a subtle hint about the Iron Sisters Citadel not being the place for someone with demon blood.

Jace then took his anger out on punching bags as his sister did when she was angry, unable to do anything else.

Simon was travelling with Maia, the wolf from Luke's pack that tried to kill Jace, looking for Luke who'd disappeared after Jocelyn's funeral.

The white lace dresses the girls were given to wear were beautiful as they stood on the metal platform before the stairs that would lead them into the water, hearts in their throats as they awaited their turns.

Clary was first.

As she laid down in the pool, floating atop the clear surface, her eyes closed and an Iron Sister said the words, "Ignis aurum probat."

And the water began to sparkle silver as heavenly voices sang, and a feeling of absolute peace passed through Clary before the light faded and she rose.

"Clary Fairchild, you are deemed clear of all demonic impurities," the Iron sister declared, and Clary walked out of the pool, giving Serena a look of luck and support as she walked in.

The water was warm on her feet as she walked to the centre of the pool, water soaking her hair clothes and skin as she stared at the clear sky and the words were repeated.

"Ignis aurum probat"

It was indescribable.

The feeling that coursed through Serena as the waters glowed silver was unbelievable. Like you were so light, free, like floating on a cloud as heavenly voices sang through the air.

As the light died down, Serena rose to face the Iron Sister.

"Serena Lightwood, you are deemed clear of all demonic impurities."

Serena nodded a look of good luck to Izzy as she entered the pool and Clary turned to Serena, beyond confused.

"You and Jace are definitely twins, right?" she whispered to the blonde.

"Yeah. Blood tests prove it."

"So, if you were both injected with demon blood before you were born, how does Jace have it, but you don't?" Clary asked.

"Unless maybe Jace doesn't have it."

But Clary didn't get time to consider and answer before Serena groaned in pain and looked to where the waters around Isabelle turned black and she began to drown.

"Izzy!" Serena bellowed as she and Clary ran into the pool and pulled the girl above the surface of the water and to her feet, the raven clutching the stair railing as she took deep breaths.

"What happened?" Clary asked looking up at the Iron Sisters.

"I have no idea," Izzy said as she shivered in her parabatai's arms.

"The water does not lie, but perhaps you do," the Iron Sister said looking down at Izzy.

"I don't know what you are talking about!" Izzy promised.

"You are tainted with demonic impurities."

"I'm sorry Isabelle," said Sister Cleophas, Lucien Greymark's sister. "But we can't let you inside the Citadel."

Serena's heart broke with Isabelle's.

"No, this has to be a mistake. She had a demon wound, maybe that's what the water reacted to. But she's fine now. She's healed," Clary defended.

"You are free to leave if that is what you desire," the Sister said.

"No," Izzy said and she turned to the two. "You have to go. We need answers."

Clary left, but Serena squeezed Izzy tight, planting a kiss on her forehead before following after the redhead.

But that still left the question of what the hell just happened?