19. The Beta's Girl

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 19: The Beta's Girl

I felt my consciousness slip into the dark abyss of a world I wish was real.

Her words slipped in and out of a void I didn't want to touch. Alice Voyage was the daughter of Alpha Edward Voyage. A believer in the Magisterium, something of all cultures, not just the werewolf supernaturals, but a league that formulated schools and districts that collated supernaturals, elementals, faerie, vampires, creatures that people couldn't believe were real. He was a kind Alpha and that was so difficult to find. Even in the Darkling royalty. This league of schools valued loyalty but also equality and why it changed was because of greed. And power. The currency of my time, which was more unfortunate than losing a family too young to understand the meaning of the word, until it's too late.

Alpha Kai Torrence overtook him. He overtook Edward and expanded his own clan with Alice's. Her own mate killed her mother and her brother. She stood by and watched. The strength to do that was extensive, if they could overthrow such a clan, but it left a bad taste in my mouth, now knowing her history. Her reasoning, if that is what she would call it. She gave birth to his children, she produced his blood, she built a new generation with his identity in their veins.

I could never do that.

I wouldn't do that.

He used to. Not since I announced my first pregnancy though. From then on, he was soft. Caressing. And hasn't changed since. They say it's a primal shock to the heart, when a man identifies as something else, something more than that. Even if we don't get to see our children often. When a man becomes a father, more responsibility is sent through the system. We all fight, we women all show defiance against it before the inevitable situates itself in your path. Then again, no one figure out the illusion of our males being cheaters. You shocked many of the women here, who got to start the games naturally, where you were taken in your sleep. It was Martin's idea, apparently, just thought you should know that before you go thinking that I'm just another bitch telling you that life is this way and you should just make your bed and sleep in it.

Her words were engraved in my mind. She seemed unique when I first saw her.

But to hear that her pregnancy changed her male's mind about hurting her, that that is in our descriptive culture of the werewolf community vividly slung anger straight through me, transforming into a long-term, distinctive rage. It wasn't the end of the road, it wasn't acceptance, it was about giving up and giving in. Surveying the atmosphere and being rebellious in her young days before changing it, getting restricted on things like seeing her children. Or telling me that once a man opens his eyes to a different kind of responsibility, like family. Then it changes. Like the violence and sustained cruelty from before is just oh-so-forgiven. No one truly sees it until the story is written and people make up their minds. They make theories about whether it's a reality, or just women gossiping for attention, for the camera flash and the spotlight.

And then the shit about Martin.

Who just keeps getting more and more fucking brownie points here.

I felt a heated sweat sweep behind me, touching the nape of my neck, dripping from two holes that were bristled, foaming up in yellow infestation that I knew should have been killing me, she sat above me, but sadly not just her. I was picked up by a pair of silver eyes, he bit his wrist before forcing something of the like down my throat. The taste so vile, I didn't want it, I didn't want any kind of connection it could create.

I moaned in pain. It tethered and chorded my vessels, strained them with the gushing violence of being ripped apart from the inside out. The vampire dead, I knew that because even with the blood of Martin in my throat, I could feel the wound heal and the deadness of ash and bone in the air, "How?" I bubble, feeling my lips tremble.