o11. 𝘗𝘙𝘖𝘉𝘓𝘌𝘔𝘚

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

NOTHING COULD HAVE PREPARED Estela for what she saw when the Porsche rolled to a stop in front of the convent.

She immediately got out of the car, fumbling with her seatbelt a little and almost tripped on invisible black ice as she stared, lips parted, at the damage on the left wing of the building. A massive portion of it was missing, its remains lay on the ground in huge piles of charred and smoking wood panels. Remnants of smoke defiled the air, mixing with the water that a dozen or so firemen were spraying.

Estela forced herself to jog closer, eyes wide and unblinking despite the sting of the cold air. She heard two pairs of footsteps follow after her.

"She must've lost control," Dick said.

"Maybe she's still here," said Kory, before jogging the opposite direction after seeing a nun by the ambulance.

Dick and Estela followed in suit, the latter still glancing back at the building, trying to imagine what must have caused it—what triggered Rachel? She recalled their conversation in Washington. It felt like ages ago but she still remembered the question she had asked the girl; the one about her powers being tied to her emotions.

What the fuck happened for her to unleash all that?

The three found themselves facing the back of an ambulance. A paramedic was tending to a seated nun who had an emergency blanket over her shoulders, with multiple crimson cuts scattered across her face. With a jolt, Estela realized it was Sister Catherine.

"Hey, where's Rachel?" Dick asked. "Is she okay?"

"She left," the nun replied shortly, a tremor in her tone. "Ran."

"What?" Estela asked, a hard edge setting in her tone. "Why?"

"What happened?" Kory placed a hand on Sister Catherine's lap, voice much gentler than the rest of the company she was with, pulling her lips into a small frown.

"We just wanted to keep her here—keep her safe, that's all," Sister Catherine told her tearfully, holding on to Kory's hand like a beggar being blessed by the Saints. "Where no one could hurt her and she couldn't hurt anyone."

Estela had an inkling of a feeling that she was telling the truth. Yet uncomfortable feeling creeping along her gut still wasn't convinced otherwise.

"Why did she run?" Estela asked again.

Instead of replying, the nun only whipped her bulging eyes to Estela and Dick. Her face paled as she told them, "There's no stopping it now."