16 - Healing

It had been a week since my encounter with Ink, and I was essentially useless. I couldn't move, due to my arms and legs both being broken, and that meant I couldn't fight either. I didn't like being useless, but I had no choice at the moment. My limbs were in casts, and they had to be checked two times a day to heal properly, which was a huge pain for all involved - mostly me, since I was in actual physical pain. That wasn't a good joke. Anyway, Paps kept me company in my uselessness, and the others kept me occupied with games and stuff when they weren't out working. They looked like they came home with more cuts and bruises than before without my help; I wished I could have done something, but I couldn't, and it hurt. I should have never let them capture me. I could have predicted the strike and dodged it; I could have done something different, and then the others wouldn't have suffered because of me.

I didn't want to be a disappointment. I could be called a coward, a loser, and even a murderer, but I didn't want to be called a disappointment; I wouldn't allow myself to be called a disappointment. I could find some way to help the others; I would find a way. On the bright side, Nightmare didn't object to being called 'Dad' anymore; We called him that now.

"Dusty!" Killer greeted me.

"Dusty?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's a nickname! Like it?"

"Sure. Do you get a nickname too?"

"We're workin' on it; yours was the easiest."

"So how's it going?"

"Pretty good: we managed to do a lot today, but we still miss ya."

"I wish I could do something.."

"Hey, ya will do somethin,' but ya gotta heal first. You'll be back out there with us eventually."

"I feel so..useless."

"You're not useless! Ya make a bad day better!"

"No I don't."

"Well, ya might not think so, but we do! That's why we're gonna do somethin' special for ya!"

"You don't have to do anything for me; I don't deserve it anyway."

"We aren't gonna hear it! We're doin' somethin,' and that's final!"

"Really-"

"Shh, no talkin.' Just accept it."

"But-" 

"No." 

"Fine.."

"There we go!"

I let out a sigh, since I couldn't move, and looked at Killer sadly. 

"Okay, get ready for somethin' really fun!" Killer jumped. "Bring it in!"

Horror and Nightmare walked into the room with smiles.

"Dusty, are ya ready?" Killer questioned.

"Do I have a choice?"

"Not really. Here we go!"

Nightmare and Horror presented me with my camera. The last time I saw it, it was broken, having fallen out of a tree. They fixed it. I felt the tears forming in my eyesockets; I didn't know what to say to this.

"That isn't the reaction I expected." Killer stated.

"Nah, he likes i,' jus' don't know how ta say i.'" Horror responded.

"I hope we didn't break him."

"That ain't the bes' way ta put i.'"

"Oh. You're right. Sorry, Dusty."