45 - Choice

I was lying in my bed, virtually helpless; I couldn't move my limbs, most of my bones were fractured, there was still paint everywhere, and I was shaking. I wasn't in a good spot, but it was better than being on Ink's floor. We had hoped that Ink had forgotten the location of Nightmare's house, because we were planning everything there; the others were in the living room. Papyrus wasn't being allowed to see me because of my condition, and I was happy about that; he's the best, and shouldn't have had to see his brother in such a state. I didn't know what I would do if he saw me like this; I didn't know what he would do if he saw me like this. At the moment, I was being watched by the kid, who wasn't very enthusiastic about anything. They looked like they were dying to talk about something, so I obliged, unfortunately.

"Nice weather we-we're having.." I coughed up some paint; my clothes were going to have to be washed..again.

"What's so nice about it?" The kid scoffed.

"I dunno.."

"How long did it take for you to break?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"I wanna see how weak you really are."

"Six weeks and a day.."

"Wow. Took me years; proof that you're weak."

"Why are y-you so intent on proving that I'm w-weak!" I coughed up more paint.  

"...No reason."

"There's got to be some reason."

"Look, I'm just a kid! I'm always seen as some innocent, kind, child! I don't want to be seen like that, but I always...just forget it."

"I see what you're saying. You don't want to be seen as weak, so you're intent on making sure you're stonger than somebody: me."

"Yes! I just want to be seen as something other than a pathetic child! If I could be stronger than the strongest monster in the world, then maybe I'd be seen differently, okay?!"

"Well who's the strongest monster in the world? Paps? Asgore? Undyne?"

"No, stupid! It's you! It's always been you!"

"Kid, I'm not strong..I couldn't even run down a hallway without t-tripping!" I coughed up more paint.

"Sans, I've always wanted to be like you! You're always so strong, and you always know exactly what to do! When I made you snap, I felt horrible, but I thought that if I showed it, you would see me as weak! When you started killing me over and over, it was because you saw me as a threat! You saw me as strong, and I liked it! Sans..I'm sorry for what I did..I was selfish.."

"You.." Great, now felt bad; the kid really knew how to spark emotions. "Look. You're young. Everybody makes mistakes: s-some are just worse than others. As much as I'll regret this later, I'll forgive you for your mistake. This doesn't mean we're going to be happy, dandy friends, though."

"I understand...thanks, Sans."

"Don't mention it. Seriously. Ever."

"Okay.."

I started to cough up more paint, more than usual; I hoped it would stop soon, but I doubted it.

"Gosh, how much paint did you even consume?" The kid was freaked out by it.