Pt 3 Chapter 2 - Hard decisions

Y/n's POV

We landed at the compound and me and Sam helped Vision off of the jet. We immediately made our way in, heading towards Tony and Bruce's old lab. Some of the people working at the compound muttered to each other or brought out their phones as we passed confidently through the compound. Steve and Sam looked quite unfazed at their reactions as they marched on past. We went up the elevator and got out on the floor of the living area and our lab. We entered into the meeting style room that connected to the living room. Nat and Steve were in front. Unexpectedly Rhodey was talking to a hologram projection of Secretary Ross. "Mr Secretary." Cap said to the blue tinted figure. The grey haired man looked at us quite shocked.

"You've got some nerve. I'll give you that." He said, walking closer to us.

"You could use some of that right now." Nat replied. Ross looked from her back to Steve.

"The world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?" He asked Steve in his condescending tone .

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost their best defender. So we're here to fight." Cap told the man strongly. "And if you wanna stand in our way..." He stepped closer to Ross. "We'll fight you too." My eyes widen unintentionally at his words. Secretary Ross didn't reply, but turned to face Rhodey.

"Arrest them." He ordered our friend in a flat and serious tone.

"All over it." Rhodey replied, his arms crossed. He tapped the air and pushed the hologram aside, making the table of men and Ross disappear. The computer beeped. "That's the court martial." He told us, a little joke to his tone. Nat and Steve smiled, he smiled back. "It's great to see you Cap."

Steve stepped forwards, looking the happiest he had all week and shook the man's hand. "You too Rhodey."

Rhodey chuckled and Nat stepped forward to pull him into a hug. "Hey." she whispered. He sighed, looking between us all. "Wow. You guys... really look like crap. Must have been a rough couple years." I looked around at the overgrown hair on Steve and tired expressions of the others. "That includes you two." He joked, looking and Nat and I.

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." Sam said sarcastically.

A voice came from behind Nat. "Uh, I think you look great." It was Bruce. He walked through the door from the living area, looking a little nervous but smiling. He chuckled as he looked at us all. "Yeah. I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce." Nat said, looking at her friend. She had her back to me so I couldn't read her expression but her voice sounded quite happy. He stared at her, fiddling nervously with his hands. He nodded slightly. "Nat."

"This is awkward." Sam whispered to me, Wanda and Vision. I frowned in confusion. Vision looked down at Sam with a similar expression. "Why?" I whispered back as Nat and Bruce continued to stare at each other.

"They had a little thing going back in 2016, planned to run away together before Banner went missing." Sam told me. I frowned, a little confused why Nat had never mentioned it. I knew she had a close connection with Bruce but I didn't realise it was romantic. I shrugged it off and moved from under Vision's arm.

Bruce finally broke his gaze from Natasha and worry came over him. "The world is, well... doomed." He stuttered and began to pace. "You see, Thanos. He's a Titan from space, he's collecting infinity stones in order to wipe out half the planet with a simple snap of his fingers. He has two... and Dr Strange has one, and Vision has one. And Thor's gone, and Tony's missing and there's wizards. And I couldn't turn into the Hulk and oh my gosh..." He was talking quickly and his breath increased.