Chapter 23

Now it was my turn to stiffen.

"Ex-fiance? You were engaged?" Though my voice was ridden with shock. I supposed it wasn't all that unbelievable. He was 28, after all.

"How long ago was this?"

"Well, our fathers had arranged it as soon as we turned eighteen. I didn't think much of it at the time, and I wasn't seeing anyone so I just went along with it. We'd meet every now and then. But we didn't do much. I never really liked her. Just tolerated her enough not to offend her father. It all worked out when she decided she didn't want to spend her 'prime years engaged'. I definitely wasn't going to argue with her on that one. I had no intention of seeing her once again. But, it seems like my father has set me up. I should have seen this coming."

When I imagined a meeting with my future boyfriend's ex, I had never considered I might be meeting an ex-fiance. Though, this situation was so strange. He didn't seem to have liked her at all. I supposed that made things easier on me.

He turned completely to face me. He held my face in his hands, forcing our eyes to meet.

"Listen to me, she's got nothing on you, okay, love? You're it for me, remember that, okay?" His face contorted, desperate to convince me. For the first time, he seemed not only worried but scared. "She's very cunning. I'm not sure what she'll do. But whatever happens, know that I love you. You're the one I want to marry."

I looked at him wide-eyed. He loved me? He wanted to marry me?

"Only if you want that, too, of course. And not for a while." He rushed to add. "I just need you to know. I don't give a flying fuck about Natasha. You're the only one I care about. The only one I want."

I nodded in acknowledgment. "Okay, good. Because I love you, too."

He smiled widely at me. His eyes rivaled the lights that shone above us.

He cradled the sides of my head before pressing a lingering kiss to my forehead.

"Geez, what k-drama is this?" A voice drawled from beside us. "Reyn, is that you. Well, I never imagined it was you playing the lead role. Who's the female lead?"

Reyn sighed and turned around to face a beautiful girl.

"Princess, this is Amethyst. Amethyst, this is Dania, my girlfriend."

"Well, I certainly hope she's your girlfriend with the way you guys are huddled up in a corner making eyes at each other. By the way, you're fucking gorgeous. If you weren't with Reyn right now, I'd be trying to make you mine." She winked at me, making me laugh. Reyn grimaced.

"You're lucky you're my friend, Crystal. Otherwise, my fist would be best friends with your face right about now." Reyn pressed me into his side.

"Yeah, yeah. You wanna fight? Square up, Sadiq." I watched as she stood her ground, flipping her ebony hair over her shoulder. Her dark-colored skin contrasted beautifully against her deep jade-colored gown when she brought her fists in front of her face.

"You're really pretty, too." I softly responded to her.

Reyn looked at me with disbelief. "Say more, baby. Go ahead. Act like I'm not here."

"What? It's the truth." I looked up at him. "You tell her, too."

"What? No."

"C'mon, isn't she your friend? You should say something nice to her," I encouraged. He looked over at Amethyst, and then glanced at me.

"You look nice, Crystal," he said tightly. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"See that wasn't so bad was it?" I looked at Reyn but he had his glare trained on Amethyst while he pressed a kiss to the side of my head.