🍁 Chapter 1

Prologue

At the age of 20, in the flower of her maidenhood, Sharon thought of her imminent death.

She caught sight of Julien’s cold gaze as she stood in front of the masses who condemned her. Sharon couldn’t help but smile, bitterness exploding in her mouth.

If I get another chance… I want to be born in a place where you don’t exist, Julien.

Sharon had fallen in love at first sight. From that moment, Julien had started to slip away from her mind and her heart.

Sharon thought that she died. But when she opened her eyes again, she had entered a new world—with the name of Nara Lee.

***

The scene before my eyes could not be real.

“Thank you to everyone who came today to honor the lives of the Count and Countess of Atrina. Count Atrina will always…”

I was brought to a funeral site by a lady named Madame DeJoue. I didn’t even understand the situation I was in. Where was this? …Also, who am I?

“Then, we will begin the eulogies. Those of you who offer condolences…”

Reality was crumbling around me. I couldn’t hear any words—it was as if the sound had been cut off or muted. Like the buzzing of a fly, the sounds bothered my ears, but I could not comprehend it.

“My lady, are you all right?”

Madame DeJoue looked at me sadly, and in her eyes I saw pity, compassion, and sympathy—and perhaps confusion.

“My lady? Lady Sharon?”

Does this mean that I am Sharon? The Sharon that you’re calling…is me?

The Sharon that I know is a side character in my favorite novel, The Queen’s Extravagant Outing.

“This doesn’t make any sense,” I mumbled. I stared blankly at the scene in front of me. While this situation was unbelievable in and of itself, it just so happened that the parents of the child named Sharon died today. “But… I’m Sharon…?”

Hahahaha. I’ve finally gone insane. Ah! Is this a dream? That’s right. I just need to wake up.

Earlier today, as soon as I opened my eyes, Madame DeJoue’s hands washed me, changed my clothes, and brought me here… Now, the funeral had nearly finished.

Since I was a 35-year-old adult, I decided not to make a fuss here. This vivid and life-like dream will be forgotten in a moment when I wake up. Honestly, I’m ridiculous. I should read novels in moderation. How could I dream about something like this?

“My lady, did you say something? My lady?”

“It was nothing,” I said. Soon, Madame DeJoue’s faint and worried looks will disappear. Yep, that’s what will happen.

“…still so young… How could they leave behind a young child like you…?” Her voice was filled with tears.

The Count and Countess of Atrina were archaeologists. While excavating pottery, the couple became ill with a disease in a lesser-known continent in the West. There was no cure or treatment, and so they died within a month—according to the story that I read.

“My lady… You won’t be able to see your parents from now on. They went to a place far away from here.” Madame DeJoue pointed to the sky. I looked up to the sky and nodded.

Sharon’s parents died when she was only 8 years old. Madame DeJoue’s explanation was the best way to explain their deaths to a child.

“That’s right. You have to be kind, my lady. Nevertheless, your parents will always watch over you.”