🍁 Chapter 5

Duke Gratoni, despite having a messy personal life, was a competent man. And among the emperor’s many sons, he chose to support the crown prince.

The crown prince did not have an easy road to the throne. He would have to suffer many hardships to become the emperor.

“But he will become the emperor…” I murmured.

Duke Gratoni placed his bets well. Well, it was moot though. In the novel, he still ended up on the guillotine because of Carol’s evil actions.

Carol peeked open her eyes. “What did you say?”

“Nothing,” I said. “Are you going to get up now?”

“Eh… I really hate him though!”

“Do you think the prince likes you any better?”

Carol continued to grumble as if she didn’t hear me. “He’s just trying to take advantage of me! He ignored me because I’m not good at reading. I really, really hate him.”

Oh my. It looked like my child is all grown up now.

Originally, Carol wouldn’t realize the crown prince was using her until the very end. This version of Carol is much more sensible. Was it because we read the fairy tales together?

“How do you know?” I asked.

Carol pouted. “My mother said so. She told me that I should catch the crown prince and use him before he uses me.”

Really, now. Duchess Gratoni is such a great teacher.

“Also, I’m not an idiot! He keeps looking at me like this.” Carol raised the corners of her eyes to make them pointier.

Carol didn’t have much ground to stand on, at least not regarding her attitude. She was supposed to meet with the prince today, but it felt more like she was preparing for battle. She was still pouting, and she had a deep frown on her face.

“But wouldn’t it be good to at least be friends?” I asked. After all, they may have to get married one day. Even if they end up breaking their engagement, it would be good for Carol to be on good terms with the prince. Of course, if Carol continued to grow up as she is now, she would never do the evil act of trying to abort the prince’s child.[T/N: This sentence was a little unclear to me. I think it was referring to poisoning the female protagonist of the novel, not that Carol herself was ever pregnant with the prince’s child.] We would naturally drift away from capital punishment.

Carol shook her head as I tried to appeal to her.

You’re going to throw off your blanket, puppy.

“No, I know. But he only needs me because my father can help him stabilize his position.”

For a child, Carol had a good grasp of the situation. Her tutors did an excellent job of teaching her the basics. “That’s why I really hate him!”

I sighed. Well, it was better than her being desperately in love with him.

“By the way, Sharon.”

Carol’s smile showed that she was up to no good. At least I knew she wouldn’t hurt others as the original Carol would.

I nodded at her for her to continue.

“Come with me when I go meet him.”

…It seems that instead of bullying others, she chose to target me.

“What?”

“My mother said that I have to meet with him once a week… I really hate it, though. But I think I’ll be okay if you’re with me. How about it?”