🍁 Chapter 19

Ah, what a sly person.

I didn’t know then because I was talking to Madame DeJoue, but two water ghosts were sneaking up on me.

Two hands, dripping water, grabbed each of my wrists.

“Kyaaa!”

As if they didn’t hear my scream, Carol and Julien dragged me to the river.

“Hehehehe. Sharon, you have to hold your breath!”

What are these kids eating to be this strong?

I closed my eyes tightly before I was dropped into the river.

I’m screwed.

I can’t swim!

“Pfffft, pffft! Kyaaaaaah! Uh? Euaaagh!”

Fortunately, they dropped me in a shallow part of the river where my feet could reach the bottom.

I shook my head. I wouldn’t let this go. I stepped forward.

Then, my body slipped backwards.

“Huh? Sharon! It should be shallow there! K-kyaaaa!”

"Sharon!”

“Both of you, step back!”

It must have been a point where the water suddenly deepened. Looking at the air bubbles floating up from my mouth, I lost consciousness, and I sank below the surface of the water.

You’re all dead when I come out…

Ah… is this the end of my life?

***

“Did you take a good look?”

“Yes, Madame.”

“What kind of person do you think she is?”

”…She’s pretty.”

“Fuhuhuhu. Yes, Lady Sharon is pretty. But more importantly, she’s smart. She’s someone who can do a lot of things.”

Huran’s gaze returned to Sharon, who was being dragged away by Carol and Julien.

In reality, he wasn’t Madame DeJoue’s blood-related brother.

He was just someone who needed Madame DeJoue, and she was accepting him based on the circumstances. Whether it was Madame DeJoue or Sharon, their paths would not have crossed with Huran’s if he wasn’t the top law student at the Academy.

Huran couldn’t believe it when Madame DeJoue approached him, like a lucky break. He had just been about to quit his studies because of poverty when Madame DeJoue reached out her hand to him.

After thoroughly consulting his parents, he moved his name onto Madame DeJoue’s family register. [1]

And when Madame DeJoue ordered him to accompany her today, saying she would finally introduce Sharon to him, he had no way to hide his excitement.

Madame DeJoue had said:

‘It’s not me that brought you here, it’s Lady Sharon. She is the one who took you in. This kindness… you can’t return it with enmity. Do you understand?’

That was what she said.

She was his benefactor.

The Lady Sharon that he met today was beautiful. Her indifferent face, her smiling face, her zoning-out face.

He had been so nervous when Sharon looked at him.

Even though he knew she was 8 years old, she had ancient eyes.