Lovely (Omega Levi x Alpha Reader)

Author's Note: As the title suggests, this is an omegaverse fic. (If you don't know, google it.) I tried to make it as PG-13 as possible, but obviously, because it's omegaverse, it still gets weird. Gomen. 

Every human fell into one of three categories: an alpha, a beta, or an omega. This classification described your temperament, of sorts, as well as your role in the species. You were born with it, just like your eye color or hair texture. And each class had its trademark characteristics.

Alphas were the dominant members of society. They were the leaders, the protectors, and they tended to be relatively more aggressive. Reproductively speaking, they would partner with omegas – or in rare cases, betas – to further the species.

Betas were quite middle-of-the-road. They had a relatively mild temperament, and were usually great friends or advisors. Interestingly, something in their genetic code made them unable to breed with omegas, and only rarely with alphas.

Omegas arguably had the most difficult spot in the hierarchy. They were of a softer and gentler temperament, which made them wonderful at nurturing children. Regardless of their gender, they were the ones who carried the offspring during pregnancy. They were also the submissive ones when it came to reproductive acts.

However, where omegas really got the short end of the stick was when they went into heat. It happened once every three months, and it often started without warning. At this time, it was dangerous for them to even leave their house, because their body gave off a distinctive scent that attracted any alpha in the area. There were drugs that minimized the pheromones, but sometimes, the pheromones were too intense for the drugs to be effective. It wasn't uncommon for unmated omegas to be raped during heat by any less-savory alphas who happened to be around.

Generally speaking, everyone adhered to the stereotypes of their class. You, however, were a bit of an oddball. Even though the doctors swore that you were an alpha, most of the time, you displayed the mild temperament of a beta. The only exception was when you were protecting your omega friends – which, unfortunately, you had to do on multiple occasions. In those cases, you displayed an aura so cold and terrifying that no one would dare to challenge you.

Yet, even the fact that you were protecting omegas without being at all attracted by their pheromones was unusual. It wasn't like you were controlling the impulse or anything – you genuinely never felt any desire toward an omega in heat. You didn't see a reason to. After all, none of the omegas you came across were your mate – the one person who nature had designated to be yours forever – so you didn't see any point in tumbling them, especially if they didn't want it. And that apparent dominance of cold logic over instinct in your personality made you something of a black sheep among alphas.

However, your milder temperament didn't stop you from enlisting in the military. In fact, the military ended up being the perfect environment for you, because you could remain cool and level-headed when necessary, while your protective instincts kept your comrades safe. And when you chose to join the Scout Regiment after graduating top of your class, they were quite obviously thrilled to have you.

Now, it had been one year since you first donned those wings, and two years since Shiganshina fell. You were a lieutenant in the fifth squadron, having quickly climbed the ranks after proving yourself in the field. A lot of the cadets who enlisted with you hadn't even survived this long.

It was another Friday night, and like most of the soldiers in the regiment, you went into Trost to blow off some steam after a hard week of training. You were accompanied by two of your comrades, who were also your close friends. The first, Rin, was an alpha like you. The second, Anelise, was Rin's omega.