🍁 Chapter 23

“If I lose Duke Gratoni’s protection, I’ll become a bird without wings. I’m the prince of the Empire and the third son of the Emperor. If I slip, I won’t go to the throne—I’ll head to the guillotine.”

“Why are you talking like that? Julien, listen to me carefully. There’s no way that you’ll die, but… If you die, I die too. The Gratoni duchy is in the same boat as you. Even if it’s just out of consideration for Carol or me, you shouldn’t say such things.”

“There’s no way I’d die? Do you believe in civilian rumors that the Imperial family is immortal? And… is Duke Gratoni really on my side?”

There was no way I’d believe that.

Most of the superstitions about the Imperial family were intentionally circulated by the Imperial family.

It was meant to instill a sense of reverence for the Imperial family, but it would never work on a learned child like me.

“No. I just believe it. Don’t they say things will happen if you believe in it? Because God is watching from heaven.”

I tried to appeal to him with a religion I didn’t even believe in.

“…Your god must be kind to you. My god is unkind and has never granted me a single wish.”

“Ah. Fine. Stop being so glum. I’ll grant you your wish. Of course… Only if it’s something I can actually do. Yup. I will be your god.”

Now, she was even pretending to be God. This is why it’s difficult to handle children.

Becoming Santa or becoming a god—the difference is a thin sheet of paper.

“How?”

“…Why? Are you going to wish for something strange? You can’t ask for something ridiculous, like ‘Please buy me a house!’ or ‘Please buy me everything!’”

Julien stared at me blankly, before bursting into a youthful laugh.

“Puhahaha!”

Julien laughed until he doubled over. He no longer looked arrogant, but was refreshing and childlike.

"That’s right. Smile prettily just like that. Julien. And Carol, at least, won’t abandon you. And Duke Gratoni will, too.”

“…How are you so certain?”

I tilted my head. If he asked like that, I had nothing to say. I laughed hard.

“Because I’m smart?”

“Let go of your groundless confidence,” Julien replied with a laugh.

But I felt relieved. He looked better now.

“By the way, Sharon. You promised.”

Julien’s eyes twinkled like stars.

“What?”

“To be my god. You have to keep your promise to make my wish come true.”

"Certainly. I won’t say something that I don’t mean!”

At my boast, the prince’s eyes turned sharp before becoming soft again.

I witnessed that moment, but I thought I was wrong and moved on.

“Of course, I believe you.”

It was because I was fascinated by Julien that he was able to grasp my hand kindly and tenderly, as he had in our childhood. I cringed and withdrew my hand.

It was so embarrassing… Why, why was he doing this?

“I have to return early today. Since Carol is sick…”