06 | eighth wonder of the world.

CHRISTIAN'S P.O.V

     IF I COULD PUSH JANNAT off of a cliff without facing charges, I would have done it already in a heartbeat. But right now as I was stomping towards the field, Jannat in tow, and my body clad in a breezy, unflattering sports tee and shorts — I was this close to getting my hands bloody, charges be damned!

"Come on, London boy," Jannat crooned from behind me. "Show me what you got."

"Go to hell."

"Been there, they sent me back so that I could plague your existence."

"Seriously, screw you for making me do this."

"Now, now, don't be a wuss."

I cursed softly as we left the comfortable confinement of the school building, already regretting everything about my existence when the sun glared brightly at me on the field, and Lucas caught sight of me — running to me at lightning speed.

"Holy shit, you actually came!"

"Yeah, I can't believe it either," I muttered, squinting and shielding my eyes from the sunrays. "The things I do for a proper schooling experience."

"Gotta give credit to Jannat," Lucas muttered, jogging briskly beside me as I all but ran to keep up with him. "She did what I couldn't do in years, with a single proposition — get you out on the field."

"She is very evil," I remarked.

"More like clever and probably very street-smart," Lucas interjected. "But sure."

I turned back to see Walter making herself completely comfortable on one of the seats that were reserved for those who actually played football — and didn't miss the way the other members of the actual team scooted over to make her comfortable even though she had plenty of space to herself. She gave them a charming smile — a siren's smile — and then waved at them. One of the boys had her eyes trained on her so hard, one would think that she was the most wonderful book they had ever laid their eyes on. I scoffed.

"Will you look at that?" I muttered to Lucas as I pointed towards where Jannat was sitting, a number of boys from the football team already mulling there. "What do they see in her? Why are they offering their seats to her just like that? If anything, they should shoo her away from the field!"

"They see everything you refuse to see in her," Lucas replied, twisting his head to look in her direction. "She is smart, beautiful, hard-working, and charming. There is not very much there to not like about her."

I scoffed again. "She is a demon sent from the depths of hell to plague human existence. How hard it is to see that?"

Lucas shrugged. "I think it's only you who sees her like that."

I turned towards him. "You mean you don't see her like that?"

Lucas gave me a lopsided grin. "You know the answer."

"Come on," I said, letting out a groan. "Anyways, wherever is the coach? Is he not supposed to come running on the field and ask both Walter and I to get the fuck out of the field?"