𝟎𝟎𝟐. car problems

ANCHOR

____________

"OKAY, I'LL ASK. Who's Kate Argent?" Malia asks as she leans forward in her seat, the jeep bouncing as she moves. She turns her head to Scott, who seems to be zoning out.

"Well, we were at her funeral. So, I'd like to know how she got out of a casket that was buried six feet underground." Stiles says, glancing at the werecoyote. Malia's gaze flickers between the two boys, waiting for one of them to continue.

"She was never in it," the Alpha replies. Malia looks to Isaac, who's sat on the right side of her, and she raises an eyebrow as if to ask if he has any answers. He only shrugs.

"She was Allison's aunt— and a total sociopath." Lydia chimes in, watching the werewolf and kitsune in the car beside them.

"All right. Kate was the one who set the fire that killed most of Derek's family." The human began to explain, keeping his eyes on the sandy road, following Braeden on her motorcycle.

"Some of them survived— like Cora, and Peter." Scott tells them. Although it may seem like his mind is blank, a million thoughts and questions are running through it.

"A very angry Peter," Lydia adds.

"Yeah, he's the one who bit and turned me." Scott huffs, his stare still locked on to the dashboard.

The strawberry blonde sighs. "And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her."

"Yeah, but we saw her buried—" Stiles tries reminding them, but Scott interrupts him.

"No. We saw a casket, remember? She wasn't in it. The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an Alpha's claws. They wanted to make sure that she was really dead." He pauses before continuing.

"Her body was healing. More and more, as she got closer to the full moon; she was coming back. So, they switched out the bodies. They took her. If a hunter is bit, they have to take their own life before they change. The Calaveras, they treat the code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it."

"Then why didn't they take Allison?" Scott shrugs, unsure of the reasoning behind why Allison is still alive when the Calaveras could've easily found her. Then Malia breathes out, redirecting the conversation to Kate. "Good for her. I wouldn't do it either."

"Would you kill half a dozen people to get out? Because that's what she did."

Malia shrugs her shoulders casually, "Maybe."

Lydia takes her eyes off Allison's car to glare at her, though the werecoyote is watching the road. Isaac takes notice of the change in the atmosphere; he taps Malia's thigh to subtly get her attention. She spins around to look at him, and he shakes his head, indicating for her to be silent. Malia reluctantly obeys, deflating in her seat.

Isaac thinks of another question to keep them from going into an uncomfortable silence. "So, is Kate a werewolf now?"

Scott thinks for a moment before replying to the beta's question. "I don't know. You know, there's a saying; sometimes the shape you take reflects the person you are."

"What kind of shape is sociopathic bitch?" the banshee asks in a sarcastic tone.

However, as soon as Lydia concludes her question, a huge thump slams against the side of the jeep, causing Stiles to lose control of the wheel. A loud POP! is heard from outside the car. Lydia frantically checks the window, concerned for the other two girls.