4;2

The Avatar has gone missing! Three years ago, Zaheer poisoned her and Kitty, severely injuring them both. While her friends moved on with their lives, and Kitty going off to make a life of her own, Korra remained in the South Pole. Everyone thought she was still recuperating, but six months ago, Korra left home and hasn't been seen since. Even Chief Tonraq was shocked to learn that his daughter's whereabouts are unknown. What has become of the Avatar, and when will she return? Will Kitty ever figure out what happened to her?

...

"Thank you," I tell Jade as she lays a cool cloth on my forehead.

"You're welcome," she says kindly. "I want you to stay in bed and rest, ok? We have a big day tomorrow, and we can't have you feeling sick."

"Okay."

Usually I'd fight her on this, but I just don't have the energy right now. I don't know what's wrong with me, I never get sick.

"I'll tell Kuvira you're not feeling well, and I'll send Bolin in in an hour to check on you. Sleep well."

Jade turns my light out and heads out of our quarters. She's so sweet to me. I remember when we first met. Now that wasn't so sweet. I had just got back from the South Poles because President Raiko had something important he wanted to talk about...

... (Flashback)

"Kitty, glad to see you back on your feet," President Raiko says to me as he shakes my hand. "Republic City has missed you."

"It's great to be back, I'm feeling much better. So what's this about?"

I didn't lie, it does feel great to be back. It hasn't been easy, but I think being back in the city is just what I needed. After Lin got the poison out of me, Korra and I went home and was in the hospital for awhile. I wasn't feeling that great at first, but the healers of our tribe did a great job taking care of us. Korra went on to physical therapy, and I decided to come back to the city because Raiko asked to meet with me. I would've stayed... I would've loved to stay for Korra, but she made it clear she wants nothing to do with me, so here I am.

"Please, sit, sit. I have a very important task for you. I know you plan on becoming a detective of the Republic City police force once you turn 18, but with the crisis going on in the Earth Kingdom, and Kuvira planning to take matters into her own hands, I would like to promote you to spy instead. I want you to assist Kuvira with her travels while gathering information for myself and the other tribal leaders."

"Spy?! I mean, that's great, and I really appreciate the opportunity, but I have a few concerns. What about Lin? I already accepted the position of detective? And did you talk to Tenzin? He's still my guardian while I'm here in the city until I turn 18."

"It's all taken care of. I've spoken to both Lin and Tenzin and they think you're the perfect person for the position. You're determined, mature, an incredible bender, and you're the closest thing to having an Avatar. Please, the world needs you," President Raiko tells me.

I don't know. I mean, when I needed President Raiko's help in aiding my home against Unalaq, he refused, and now that he needs me, it's a different story? It's just very hard for me because though I don't like Raiko, the Earth Kingdom is still in trouble. Tu's family had to escape Ba Sing Se and flee to Republic City because their home was burned down. I watched the Earth Queen die, and I didn't even try to help her! I witnessed the collapse of a civilization. Maybe I should do this...

"Ok, I'm in."

"Great! Now, I'd like for you to meet your partner."

"Partner?"