🍁 Chapter 28

The representative slowly unrolled the parchment. Carol tensed as she watched his sluggish movement.

“Sharon.”

“Yeah.”

Carol’s dark green eyes as she held my hand tightly were trembling. They didn’t look like the eyes of a child.

Why was she making that face? It was upsetting.

“Things will be all right. You and the prince’s relationship isn’t bad. Rather, don’t you guys like each other?”

“We just don’t hate each other, and that’s it.”

I was pleased with Carol’s rebuttal. That was pretty much the same thing as liking each other. Huhuhu.

I gently brushed Carol’s cheek.

“There won’t be any problems. It’s just an engagement. You’ll still be with me in the duchy, and nothing will change.“

“Even if I get engaged?"

"Of course.”

I nodded.

Carol and Julien will get married when they are 20 years old. The turning point in their relationship was still a long time away.

"But… Are you okay?"

"Hmm? What about me?” I asked, sipping a drink to soothe the stifling feeling that had been in my stomach all day. My insides felt as if they were sinking from the beverage.

Did I eat something wrong? Why was I like this?

“Is it okay that Julien is getting engaged to me?”

“Of course it is. Or were you two intending to ditch me to play on your own?”

That would be a betrayal.

As I opened my eyes widely, Carol sighed and shook her head.

“…No. You’re the only one for me!”

I didn’t notice the resignation on her face, distracted by her cute smile.

“…I’m sorry, Julien.”

Nor did I hear Carol’s small murmur over the buzzing of the crowd.

“Ah, that’s right. When we go home, let’s drink some hot chocolate while you unwrap your gift.”

"Gift?”

“Yup. My birthday gift for you.”

“Hooray!”

I patted Carol’s head as she smiled widely.

I had acquired some colored threads to make a wish bracelet. It wasn’t much, but it was something that I often made when something important happened back in Korea.

The turquoise and blue threads would suit Carol, and I thought that she would like it.

“The imperial family would like to announce the following for the birthday of the duke’s daughter. The crown prince, Julien Urcan von Cosabalta, and the duke’s daughter, Carol Benice von Gratoni, are to be engaged. The engagement ceremony will be held on the 15th day of the first month of autumn.”

The representative’s voice captured the attention of the hall. Rerolling the scroll, the representative stepped away from the podium, knelt down, and delivered the scroll to Duke Gratoni, who was sitting in front of the platform.

“We’ve received the order! The Gratonis will be ever loyal to the empire!”

I naturally turned my gaze toward Julien. He was supporting the Empress, who was staggering in relief. Our eyes met.