Part III Love Child Chapter 21

21

“SAINT” LAUREN SEEMED to enjoy invoking the protection of the angels assigned to keep her safe. Many times she’d come home after driving the car with unbelievable stories of supernatural intervention. 

During one incident, Lauren was on the freeway when a semi or transport as Canadians call them, began merging into her lane. She was in the transport's blind spot. Disaster was eminent as there were two cars to her immediate right. With what she described as angelic reflex, she first sped up, then, hit the brakes to veer out harms way and into a single car-length space that miraculously formed somehow. With only an inch to spare, Lauren’s protectors managed to avert disaster. On another occasion, fog was the demonic villain’s weapon of choice.

Lauren was both late and lost one evening while looking for Esther's church. Not realizing she was in one of the most dangerous parts of the inner-city, but needing directions, she pulled over to use a pay phone. 

Lauren was dressed in angelic white with a prominent cross hanging from her neck. While fumbling for the number, she noticed two menacing-minded men cross the street and approach her. Sensing danger, she silently called upon her heavenly guardians to divert the evil intent building within them. The men stopped for a moment, looked at Lauren, and then walked away as if Lauren had become invisible. 

She eventually found her way and was preparing to drive home after another rousing service at Esther's church. A thick blanket fog bank had rolled in off of Lake Michigan, reducing visibility to near zero. 

"Lauren, dear, why don't you spend the night here, conditions are horrible?" a concerned Esther pleaded.

"Please don't worry Esther, I know I'll be safe," Lauren replied, trusting in the divine intervention that had become a normal part of her daily life lived in Spirit.

The fog bank was so thick that Lauren could barely see beyond the end of her car. She turned the task of steering over to an angelic passenger. In a spiritual trance, she navigated her way safely home by some otherworldly radar. 

During the winter months, another incident of divine protection involved a slick, snow-covered freeway.

While in Milwaukee visiting Dorian, a snowstorm had engulfed the area. Undaunted, Lauren chose to come home rather than remain with Dorian, someone she considered to be an unwholesome evil influence on her, believing that Dorian was being used of Satan to try and entice Lauren back to her former ways of living for self and pleasure. 

Despite the conditions, Lauren chose the freeway, her usual route home. She was following a transport's taillights and rolling in the tire-track trail the massive truck was blazing in the snow. Then it happened.

Out of her rear-view mirror she noticed a car speeding up behind her. It was a black Blazer, one of those 4-wheel drive all-terrain vehicles. The driver was drunk and driving much too fast for conditions. When he got to Lauren, he sped past her on the right, swerving as he tried to race her to the exit they both intended to take. He hit his accelerator and that veered his left rear into Lauren's right-rear fender.

The impact spun her around on the slick snow-covered roadway. She was heading at high speed right for the cement buttress that defines the exit. With no way of escape seemingly possible, she quickly prayed for help. A reflex brake-and-turn of the wheel somehow bent the path of the car, so that it hit broadside rather than head on. It meant the difference between serious injury or possible death, and minor abrasions and manageable car damage. 

I was awakened at 4:30 that morning by a stunned but safe Lauren who told me the story of the miraculous intervention.

"Lauren, what happened? Are you hurt?"