65. a-l-i-v-e

I awoke the next morning with heavy eyes and an equally heavy heart. For a few moments when my eyes first opened, I had a brief taste of bliss. It was quickly shattered when I remember what had occurred the night before. 

Clarke was dead. 

In the past week we had learned of Monty and Harper's deaths, Octavia had been banished and Clarke had been murdered. 

I almost didn't want to get out of bed. What was the point anymore? Live each day just to watch another person I care about die? That didn't sound like something I wanted to do. 

It was in that moment that I realized an absence in the bed, rather absences. Greer, who had been cuddled up on my left was no longer there, nor was Bellamy who had been on my right. 

Panic flooded into me for a moment as I sat up, searching for any sign of them. Immediately thinking the worst, I felt like I was going to throw up. 

That was until I heard quiet voices from the bathroom. My heart rate slowly began to lower as I pulled myself from the bed, making my way toward the noise. 

Silently, I peaked inside to see a scene that made my heart melt, washing away all the pain I had awoken with. 

Greer sat up on the counter, babbling away as Bellamy attempted to do her hair. He was failing miserably, but it was the thought that count. 

"Why don't you let me do it?" I offered, giving him a warm smile as I leaned against the door way. 

Bellamy jumped slightly, looking over to me with a sheepish look. "I used to do Octavia's hair when we were kids." he admitted. "Guess I've lost my touch."

I let out a small laugh, wrapping my arm around his torso as I lightly took the brush. "Let the master show you how it's done."

"Avery!" Greer cheered excitedly. "Bellamy said he's going to walk with us to school today!"

I rose my brows as I gave her smile. "Did he?" I wondered, looking to Bellamy with affection. "He's awesome like that."

She nodded, looking at us through the mirror. "I'm going to draw another picture for you today." she announced, as if she had just made that decision. "What colour do you want?"

Bellamy grinned as he leaned closer to her, lowering his voice slightly. "What about pink?"

Her eyes lit up as she clapped her hands together, clearly excited that he had chosen that colour. Despite all the pain I was feeling, I couldn't help but beam at the two of them. 

Bellamy would be a perfect father. I had always known it, but now I was closer to actually being ready to start a family. Once we were out of Sanctum, and somewhere safe, I knew children were in our near future.

"Okay, Bug." I sighed, finishing with Greer's hair. "Go get your shoes on. Bellamy's going to take you downstairs and get you some breakfast while I get dressed, yeah?"

She nodded, smiling as Bellamy lifted her off of the counter. "Can we have waffles?" 

Bellamy grinned. "Anything for you."

As Greer ran out of the bathroom, I turned to Bellamy with a teasing smile. "You've known her for two days and she already has you wrapped around her little finger. What are you going to do when we have a child of our own?"

Her grinned, pulling me in for a kiss. "Spoil that child to death."

"God help us all."

---

Twenty minutes later I was ready and had made my way into the tavern. Emori and Murphy sat at one of the tables, but I refused to look in that direction. I could barely stand to look at Murphy right now. I'm sure he had his reasons, I just didn't understand them.