Chapter 14 | Trump Card

-Flashback-

"So this is the gate, huh..." Norman mutters.

Younger Emma, (Y/N), Ray, Norman and Maiko all gripped the gate's bars with their chubby little hands as they looked inside.

"Bummer, this turned out to be a lot less fun than we anticipated. Let's head back before Mama sees us." Ray says.

-Flashback End-

Norman was sitting on the bed across from the one Ray was sitting on.

"Ray... Why exactly are you working for Mama?"

The raven haired boy smirked.

"I volunteered to do so, by my own violation. Or rather, it's more like I put myself out there." Ray replied.

"Why..." Norman trailed off.

"To prepare for our escape. ALL OF THIS WAS TO PREPARE FOR OUR ESCAPE."

-Flashback-

"I've realized the secret behind this house. What are you gonna do about it? Kill me? Mama, I...want to make a deal with you."

-Flashback-

"To prepare...for our escape?" Norman questioned.

"That's right...all of this was mere pre-planning. It was the best way for me to understand our enemy and for me to gather resources. That's why I've practically sold myself to the enemy." Ray explained.

-Flashback-

"What are you gonna do about it? Kill me?" Ray questioned, looking up at Mama.

The cards weren't completely stacked against me.

Mama's eyes narrowed at the young boy as he stared up at her.

"I have a hunch about the shipping order. It's our scores, right?"

-Flashback End-

"Mama went through all the trouble to cultivate me. I'm part of her pride and joy. Harvesting me halfway should be something that Mama would like to avoid at all costs."

-Flashback-

"I want to make a deal with you." Ray told the woman.

Mama smirked.

Sure enough, Mama went along with it.

-Flashback End-

"For her, her gains are more important than huge rules. I demanded roughly two things from her.

1) That she wouldn't ship me out right off the bat if I worked for her, and

2) That I'd be compensated for my work."

"Your compensation will depend on the fruits of your labor." Mama's past words rang through Ray's head.

"...Compensation... What do you mean by that?" Norman asked.