Chapter 19

Not only was she confronted with Alina, but Bronte and Oralie - her biolgical mother - and Emery. 

"Miss. Foster, what are you not to tell us exactly?" Emery prodded when she didn't answer Alina. Sophie couldn't think of any excuse, her mind was looking for one frantically. Searching for a good and believable excuse which the councillors who don't necessarily like Sophie, would believe. 

"Your surprise party!" Keefe interjected. "We're planning a thank-you party, for being the best council we could ever ask for."  

Dame Alina just stared at Keefe for a couple seconds, her lips pursed and her beady eyes buldging at him. It kinda creeped Sophie out a little. She also started to stare at Keefe in disbelief. First of all, everyone knows that Sophie does not like Councillor Alina, and neither of them gets along with each other. Second of all, Keefe of all people would never never do anything for the Council unless they asked. Alina's eye twitched, then she said in almost an angry tone.

"Again, I'm going to ask one more time. What. Are you not to tell us?" She took a step closer to Keefe, almost as if she was trying to size him up. Which was hilarious to Sophie, due to the fact that Keefe could probably take Alina out in less then 3 seconds. The thought was hilarious until it occured to Sophie the situation they were currently in. Mr. Forkle stepped in between Councillor Alina and Keefe.

"Coucillor Alina, calm yourself. It is of none of your concern what we were discussing. I can assure you that it is of no harm to anyone or anything. It's a harmless secret that they are keeping for their own good." He stood up straight which made him look considerably taller.

Councillor Alina poked Mr. Forkle in the chest which made Sophie recoil in disgust. "You will tell us, right now!" Though she was a Councillor, she had absolutley no right to poke Mr. Forkle in the chest like that. Mr. Forkle looked down at her finger and then right back to her fuming face, his eyes blared with rage as he stared at her.

"Alina." Emery stepped forward. "That's enough." He put his hand on her shoulder, and Alinas head whipped around to face Emery, they obviously were having a telepathic conversation. Thankfully, Alina stood down and stepped back, her face red with embarrasment. "We will let you keep your secret for the moment, but we are expecting that we are told in some point in time." Oh they would definatley know in 5 months, when Sophie and Keefe's child was born. "We have come to talk to you about the misfortunate event that happened a month ago or so." Sophie had no idea what Councillor Emery was talking about.

"What event?" Sophie really had no idea what he was talking about. Out of the corner of her eye, Sophie saw Keefe checking out his reflection as discreetly as possible and Mr. Forkle sizing Emery up again. That's when Bronte cleared his throat.

"The time that I uhm, kind of made you pass out and stop breathing." Sophie's mouth formed a small "o" shape. "Yea, that time." He looked at the ground in something like shame.

Emery looked between Sophie and Bronte, "We also called Magnate Leto here, so we'll wait for him to arrive." And at that Mr. Forkle blanched a shade lighter than white. He grabbed his imparter from his pocket and looked down at it, he immediatly typed something on it.

"Ah, well, it looks like I have to depart." He shoved his imparter back into his pocket. He sent Keefe and Sophie a meaningful look and started to walk towards their huge oak double doors. "I'll see you kids soon, have a great day." He sped walked through the door with a pizzaz in his step. No later then 2 minutes later, Magnate Leto walked through the same huge oak double doors.

"That was funny, I bumped into Mr.Forkle on the way here, I think he was leaving." Sophie had no doubt in her mind that Magnate Leto just did a quick switch between, Mr. Forkle and Leto. "So, let's get on with talking about the incident." Keefe led them into the living room, to the sage green furniture, Keefe led the Councillors to the big couch.

Sophie and Keefe sat on their huge circle sofa, they tried to seperate themselves as much as possible. "So, what exactly did you want to ask Sophie about?" He looked at the 4 Councillors carefully, and waited for their answer.

Bronte answered. "We need to try to figure out why the inflicting almost made you die, even though I wasn't intending you to be in that much pain." He started to look at the floor, "We're going to get Oralie to hold your hands to read your feelings as Emery plays the moment back in your mind. Kind of like planting a memory." Sophie looked to Magnate Leto and she noticed that a vein was buldging in his temple.

"But I know why it happened." She paused to look at all of the Councillors. "I was incredibly stressed, it was school and I was studying to no end." She took a breath as the painful memories came back. The terrifing darkness and pain that had envoloped her in so much pain she had to retreat into her mind, into saftey.

She hadn't realised that Oralie's hand now rested on her shoulder and that her eyes were teary. She nodded to the Councillors, "The feelings I feel are so overwelming with fear and stress, I think that it really was school and all her work." Sophie and Keefe looked to each other, knowing well that it was because Sophie was pregnant that, she felt as if she needed to protect her baby. Instead of saying that though, they both just nodded their heads in agreement. Alina then spoke up,

"Well, we have decided to cancel your Inflictor lessons. We don't want this to happen again. So, until you feel as if you are not stressed and overwhelmed for at least 2 weeks, you won't be using your power. You may still study the history of it, or how it effects someone, but you may not practice."

"It is up to you if you wish to continue your lessons." Magnate Leto said staring directly into her eyes.

"Yes, of course I want to continue studying with you." She looked at Bronte as the Councillors stood up and started to walk towards the door. They told Sophie that they would keep her time slot, but make Oralie supervise the lesson. As Bronte stood to leave, Sophie quickly got up and walked towards Bronte. "Bronte. Wait." He looked at her with sorrow in his eyes. "You know it's not your fault right?" She put her hand on his shoulder. "I know you're blaming yourself, but don't because it's not your fault. What happened wasn't because of you, okay?" Bronte smiled at her.

"Thank you, I'm sorry for what happened Miss. Foster." He said quietly. "I must admit, I- I'm scarred to inflict on you again."

She gave him a soft smile. And she did what she thought she would never do. She hugged the big mean annoying Councillor Bronte. "Please don't worry about this now." He slowing hugged her back.

"Thank you Miss. Foster." He let go and headed towards the door. Keefe and Sophie walked towards the door to say Good-bye to the Council. They were all out of the door, other then Oralie. Suddenly, Oralie hugged Sophie, she was surprised, but still wrapped her arms around Oralie. That's when she Oralie whispered into her ear,

"I know Sophie, I know about your kid. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." Sophie's eyes bulged, as Oralie pulled away.

"Good-bye, Sophie. Bye Keefe." Oralie said cheerily, "I hope you feel better, Sophie. Go easier on yourself." Oralie knew, Oralie knew about her pregnancy.