𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

CHAPTER SEVEN

the piano

NOW THAT BETTY had successfully gotten Peter and Aisling together ( and they were totally loved up — spending practically every waking moment together ), she turned her sights to Mary and Cece in her next venture to distract herself from the endless pit in her stomach. 

She didn't forget how they were looking at each other while at Diagon Alley that summer and it helped to distract her from her ever consuming grief. The only person who could see through the who thing was Philippa, who didn't try and stop her, but also asked Betty not to mess with her love life.

Without question, Betty agreed and a guilty pit in her stomach formed. Did it really count as a good deed if she did it for all the wrong reasons?

She pushed the thought out of her mind — it would make Cece happy and that's what mattered. So, with new determination, Betty set out into the world that day.

Her hair slightly curly due to her impending period and up in a ponytail, she joyfully entered the Great Hall and instead of sitting with her usual crowd, she made her way over to the Gryffindor table.

"Good morning, Betty," Lily said as she looked up with shining green eyes.

Betty understood James's infatuation with her, it wasn't so long ago that Betty could say the same. Perhaps that's why she may have hated him, in part ( aside from the fact that he's just the worst person on this bloody planet! ) because he might have actually had a shot with her. 

"Morning, Lily," she replied as she sat down in the empty space next to Alice. "I was wondering why only Marlene and Dorcas were at the Gryffindor party a couple days ago. I heard you all normally rule them."

"Well," Alice said as she sipped her tea. "You heard correctly. James and Sirius may think that they're gods, but they're nothing compared to us and I wasn't there because I had a midnight rendezvous."

"Merlin, really?" Betty whispered. "With ..."

Alice smiled and scrunched her nose as she nodded. Her smile kept growing the longer the knowledge sat in the air between them. 

"Congratulations," Betty whispered to her.

"Thank you very much," Alice replied with a smile as she held her head high.