CHAPTER 08: THE INTRIGUING CASE

ZWEI

Weeks have passed since that incident happened. I'm back to work and here I am sitting on my chair while boredom is painted all over my face.

I want to be thrilled again, but all I've got is a boring work load—examining the papers and all. Dang it.

I heard knocks on the door then Sergeant De Villa entered.

"Here's another paper for robbery case, Lieutenant."

I looked at the paper he placed down on the table in front of me. I sighed in doldrums.

"Can't I get any better work? I've been sitting here for hours and boredom is killing me," I grumbled while unhappy emotion is visible on my face.

"Uh, you should ask Chief Lee about that, Lieutenant. I heard that there's another case has passed on to him."

The boredom I felt suddenly washed out by curiosity when I heard what he said. "What kind of case?"

"Case of a lost woman, I guess?"

Napaisip ako sandali. Lost, huh?

I stood up while slamming the table. He looks surprise when I suddenly did that.

"Thanks for the useful information, Sergeant De Villa," I said then hurriedly walked away.

"But, Chief said, you should have to finish checking this paper until dusk!" Rinig kong sigaw niya nang makalabas ako ng opisina ko.

Bro, I don't want to settle for a boring role. I want an adventure—a thrilling one.

I stopped when I'm in front of Captain's office. I knocked twice before I opened the door.

"Hey—"

"It's Captain," he corrected while emphasizing the latter. I roll my eyes. He can't see though. He's busy looking at the papers.

"So, Captain..." I said, immitating his voice earlier. "do you have an interesting case in your sleeve?" I asked.

He looked at me with full of sarcasm. "Are you insulting me? Do you think this is interesting to you?" he said, pertaining to loads of papers in front of him.

Geez. He's not the only one.

"I didn't say that. I was asking if you have one. Oh, well. I have one," I put a mischievous smile on my face.

"Where's the case file, then?"

"Uh, nakay Chief pa," I said then smile awkwardly. I heard his snort.

"Get out. Don't bother me."

Ngumiwi ako saka bumulung-bulong habang lumalabas sa opisina niya.

I went to Chief's office and thank goodness he's there.

"Hi, Chief!" I went inside without bothering to knock.

"I'll call you later," he said to a person on the other line then he hangs up the phone. "I'm sure that you haven't done checking the papers yet, so what are you doing here, Lieutenant?"

"I want another work," I said without hesitation.

"Are you defying my order again, Lieutenant?" I gulped when I felt seriousness on his voice.

"Uh, I mean... I want more work. Yeah. That is," sabi ko sabay kamot sa batok ko. He shrinks his eyelids like he's examining me. "You see, the work you just gave me doesn't bring excitement in my nerves instead it's killing it, so I want another—I mean more work, like a case of a lost woman?"