𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈: Crossroads

┍━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┑

CROSSROADS

┕━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┙

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

BELLAMY is not a hat person.

This stupid Mount Weather hat has been bothering him ever since he put it on. It's too tight ━━ and he just knows Lyra would make a joke about his head being too big, so thank god she isn't here ━━ and it keeps messing up his hair. To be fair, his hair isn't exactly something he should be worried about right now. But it's much easier to focus on than the other looming thought:

Hundreds of lives are currently depending on him.

Mouth pale and grim, Bellamy slides his eyes sideways to Maya as they stride through tomb that is Mount Weather. She isn't watching him, instead sweeping the corridor ahead for anything that could give him up. He tugs the beige cap lower over his curls, unable to forget the wail of the sirens and the terror on Jasper's face when the dorm doors had been locked. Not to mention the Grounders and his own people that wait for him in the outside world. So, so many people are relying on Bellamy to keep them alive.

A bell trills and he nearly jumps out of his skin. Maya pushes him back before they can round the corner and a bolt of surprise flashes through him. With disconcertment, he realises that a line of tiny children, no older than five or six and small and fragile as dolls, are streaming into what must be a classroom.

"Come on," Maya ushers him forward, and he tries to shake away his shock.

Suddenly, a shrill little voice piped up from below him as hands breakable as paper tug at his pant-leg. "Mister. . . are you on a ground unit? My dad is training for a ground unit."

The boy is small, a mop of sand-coloured hair hanging messily over his eyes as he goggles at Bellamy. A part of Bellamy withers. Indecision crawls through his mind for only a heartbeat, and then he finds himself responding to the toddler quietly.

"It's pretty cool up there. I hope he makes it."

Suddenly, the little boy's eyes begin to widen. "You're Bellamy."

Bellamy stiffens

"Lyra told me all about you," says the little boy giddily, rocking back and forth on his heels in excitement. "She's my best friend. She promised she would play cards with me, but I. . . I think she might be sick or something. I haven't seen her in a while."