15 Days of Romance

I wouldn't go as far as to say I was popular. 

I mean, yeah, I have found myself the subject of rumors and gossip, but it's not like I go around asking for it. I tend to stick to the background of things, blend into the crowd as some would say.

And that's why I am the perfect mystery.

I don't have friends, go to parties, or go out of my way to socialize. I've never had a significant other or anyone close to that point because none of the people I've met sparked my interest. My life consists of my Mom, dog, and little brother.

As the mystery girl, all the guys take turns trying to figure me out. I have practically turned down all of the teenage male population in my grade and the grades below and above mine. It is so frustrating! I don't understand their logic, but it seems they have a running bet on who I will date first.

Three days ago, the talk of the town was the big breakup between the only high school's power couple, the captain of the football team, and the leader of the cheer squad.

It was pretty much the cliche American teen movie relationship. The cheer captain was cruel and came from the richest family in our small town. The cheer team backed up anything their bully of a leader did and got her out of trouble.

The sports player wasn't actually that bad. He was pretty nice, but obviously had terrible taste in who he wanted to date. He got decent grades though.

Everyone knew what was going on at lunch when the now ex-girlfriend screeched about how he can't do this and you'll regret it. She then burst into sobs and ran from the quad while the football captain apologized for the niose before sitting down and finishing his lunch.

For the rest of the day, the blonde cheerleader was spewing out sob stories to anyone who would listen. Everyone knew none of it was true but sympathized with her anyway.

To get back at him, she started going out with her ex's friend. The friend actually asked if the captain was okay with it. He agreed but warned him about her, so her plan didn't work as there were no hard feelings.

So, news of the century, not all high school football players are douches like the movies lead us to believe.

When her "master plan" didn't work she went into denial. She flat-out denied they had ever broken up even though there were about fifty witnesses. Her friends all agreed that it was a fluke, but the football players backed up their captain.

Now that the goggle of country girls caught wind that the town's most wanted bachelor was now eligible, they crowded him after the last bell. He politely made his way over to the field for practice and sighed as the crowd followed him to the stands.

Here in small-town Texas, football is everything. Parents hold their children back several grades just so they can be bigger when football season comes along. Brawls have been started by insulting a fan's team. Most of the sports budget fuels the team with new uniforms, inflatables, and practice dummies. Team members get free passes in academic and disciplinary issues so they don't have to be kicked off the team. Every team fights for the state title.

I've never really understood what the fuss is about. I'll occasionally go to a game, but the huge crowds and screams usually deter me from coming back for another couple of months. I'm fine with letting others enjoy the game, but I prefer to watch it from home with my younger brother who ropes me into seeing the game. He loves football along with the rest of the population.

And the team captain is the star of every winning game.

This leads to now. Where the team captain is standing on my doorstep on a random Saturday afternoon. He is dressed in grey sweats and a red school T-shirt as if he needs to remind anyone where he goes to school. There is only one high school in this town, but many in the surrounding districts. A black backpack was slung over his broad shoulder.