Chapter 18: Empty promises

"Fucking hell," Kyle muttered, turning away. J just stared at his lap, trying to process it all.

DaKarie told them. Everything.

Alright, well, not anything about the locker room. He guessed he should probably get on that before it came to bite him in the ass. But everything else.

"I knew he was sick before but I didnt think..christ, it was so obvious."

"Epilepsy my ass." Kyle added, clearly frustrated.

"You knew?" DaKarie focused back in on the kid, waiting for some sort of explanation. He just shrugged helplessly.

"One of the first days we met, outside of school. Was helping mom out at the hospital. He had an appointment with an oncologist."

"Wait so you knew this and you didn't think to tell us?"

"He pulled me aside, asked me not to tell. He said everything was fine DaKarie. The hell was I supposed to do." Karie gawked at the almost annoyance flash across the boys features. "You know how he is."

DaKarie huffed, rubbing at his waves as he tried to think of what happened next. Kyle was still silently fuming and J was as distant as ever so he knew he had to take the reins. Shit was harder than they made it look.

It wasn't that complicated, not really anyway. They were informed, they'd go with him, chill with Max. They would figure out that crap with Christians dad and they would start fresh. They just needed to take it bit by bit, right? Not so hard.

"Agh okay." He hopped up, brushing off the intense thoughts. He began packing up his things as he informed them of his plan. "We gotta go see Max at the hospital, he knows were coming. Was thinkin we could talk to the fam, figure out some nights we can spend there so he aint alone so much. Place is boring as fuck anyways."

"DaKarie, wait just a m-

"Oh J." The kid sighed as he was cut off but tried to humor him. "Theres these kids at the hospital that Max kinda looks after sometimes. He talked me into giving some clothes; good ones, not like goodwill shit. We got the boys covered but got nothing for the girls. Was thinking if one of your sisters had some old ones she thinks they might li-

J stood, suddenly looking bigger then he ever had before as he faced him.

Hell yeah he was still a pipsqueak DaKarie would say but..he didnt like that look he was giving. His jaw clenched instinctively, preparing himself for the blow.

"Im sorry Max is sick. I am." He looked dead serious, trying his best to get his sincerity across. Karie looked away, steeling his anger. "But it doesn't change anything."

"It changes everything, man."

Kyle came shuffling over a moment later, probably sensing the tension. He wasnt one to interfere but that didnt mean he didnt worry and shit.

"Hes fuckin dying, J. You should..shoulda seen him. At the game, I mean he was losing it." He took a second, shaking his head as if that would rid the memory from his brain. It killed him just thinking about it.

"You are the best person I know. You find out hes dying and you just shrug it off like it aint none of your fucking buissness? Really? I don't believe that shit for a second."

"We agreed we would go to him for help. For Christian. That was all I signed up for Karie. I know your scared for him, I get it."

"Nah, fuck that. And stop acting like this doesnt bother you man cause its pissing me the fuck off! Whats this really about huh?" DaKarie shrugged off the hand Kyle put on him, wanting him to take a minute. "Nah, you might be fine putting up with his tantrum but I've had enough."