10. He is a Puzzle.

You are part of a puzzle in someone's life.
You may never know where you fit, but someone's life may never be complete without you in it.

- Unknown

Aanya

The morning light continued its relentless assault on my desire for sleep. The sun's rays, like mischievous intruders, slipped through the gaps in the curtains, prying my closed eyelids apart. 

The serenade of birds outside seemed more like a chorus of little alarm clocks, urging me to wake up and embrace the day. It felt like nature itself was conspiring against my slumber. 

Refusing to surrender, I rolled to my right side and pulled the blanket over my head. 

I loved nature, but today, I would not let it triumph over my need for rest.

The blanket became my makeshift shield, attempting to block out any unwelcome sights and sounds. Yet, my efforts were futile; sleep had slipped away from me, leaving me stranded.

My hand groped around the bedsheet, searching for my phone, which I had instinctively placed somewhere under the pillow. Finally locating it, I pressed the power button, squinting my right eye to see the time. 6:34 am.

 Mornings were not my friend; if I were back home, I would still be snugly cocooned in my blanket, only waking up around 10 am.

Realizing there was no use in lingering in bed, I mustered my willpower and reluctantly got up, perching on the edge of the bed. My eyes surveyed the unfamiliar room, which I had paid little attention to the night before, too exhausted to take notice. 

The walls were painted in a soothing abalone grey, a color that struck a balance between warmth and coolness. On my right, two single sofas and a coffee table were neatly arranged, with my backpack resting on the table.

A wooden cupboard stood against another wall, and an additional door hinted at an attached bathroom. It was a simple and modest setting, devoid of extravagance.

As I turned my head to the left, I spotted the culprit responsible for my early awakening – a wide window, elegantly draped in royal blue curtains that reached the floor. I decided to confront my adversary, pushing the curtains aside and uncovering a pleasant surprise. 

It wasn't a window as I had assumed, but a balcony, embracing the beauty of the surrounding forest. The balcony's door was made of wood and glass, inviting the crisp, fresh air inside. Unaware of my bare feet, I gingerly stepped onto the cold wooden floor of the balcony.

The view outside was enchanting, as if nature had intended to make peace with me. A lush expanse of trees spread out before my eyes, forming a serene canopy. It was evident that I was nestled deep within the embrace of a forest.

 As I looked around, an elderly gentleman in his sixties caught my eye. He was tending to the lawn, probably the diligent gardener of this tranquil place.

The sky above was a clear canvas, brushed with strokes of white clouds. Birds of different species danced gracefully through the air, chasing after their morning meal. 

Now that my sleep had fully relinquished its hold on me, I felt invigorated by the beauty surrounding me.

A pang of guilt washed over me. I had blamed nature for my early awakening, but now, in the presence of such serenity, I realized that I was only paying the price for staying in a place so magnificent. My heart whispered an apology to nature, acknowledging my love for its wonders. 

This place was a refuge from the chaotic noise of the city, and it stirred fond memories of my true home – not the cramped apartment in the city, but the serene haven of my childhood, my village. I felt a sense of belonging, as if I had come back to where I truly belonged, if only for a little while.