C H A P T E R 6

LOCKING DOORS

(note : the outfit Callie is wearing is in the header spot)

Callie and Cooper sat next to each other, Sarah and Rafe in the other side of the table, Rafe in front of Callie.

"We're honestly so glad to have you. Remember our old dinners? Anyways enough of this whole nostalgia thing, Anything new kids? Any plans for next year?" Ward asked, interested.

"Callie you're going to University aren't you?"

"Well I applied to Stanford and they gave me an interview next monday so I hope I'll be taken," she spoke, looking at Ward the whole time.

"Stanford? wow fuck you're having high hopes," said Rafe after stifling a giggle.

"Rafe, language," Ward corrected him "But yeah that's really good well I hope Sarah can go to such a great university too when she's a bit older"

The two girls exchanged eye contact and awkwardly smiled to each other. bitch Callie thought.

"We never placed our hopes on Rafe, school has never been a thing for him. I wonder if something in this world is meant for him or if he's just a useless p-"

"Dad please just-"

"What rafe? it's true isn't it?"

An awkward silence fed the table, and Callie noticed once again that Rafe and Ward's relationship was complicated. Part of her knew it was the reason why Rafe was into drugs and never home.

"I'm sorry Callie but I don't remember you mentioning any interview to me before," James laughed ironically, eying the Camerons around the table.

"You told me it was no one of your business so I thought you wouldn't care," she said very sincerely, which caused her to face her uncles big eyes.

"How will you manage to go there? It's very far away you know," asked Wheezie.

"I don't know I might carpool, they say it's good for the environment"

"Callie there's no way you're carpooling with strangers for so many hours," James grumbled.

"Well perhaps we could just see about
that at home," Callie replied, annoyed of him acting like he cared.

"Callie wait, I know someone who could probably drive you if it's the only problem. It's a very nice and polite boy from work. He took some days off and has his free week-end so I can ask him if you want," Ward announced looking at Callie and then at James.

"Don't bother your workmates for her. She's independent she'll find a way by herself right?"

"No seriously I'll ask him, and I'm sure you know him Callie. But I can't remember his name though," Ward took a minute to think of it and obviously it didn't pop up. "Rafe and Coop what's that blonde boy you're always hanging out with?" he asked.

"Hum Topper?" Coop replied with his heavy duty fake perfect son attitude Callie hated.

"Yeah him! Topper Thornton could drive you, I'm sure he'd be fine with that"

Callie crossed Rafe's gaze and he let her know he was on charge. "I think his car is at the automobile workshop now so I'm not sure he-" Rafe tried to lie.

"Well you can lend him yours Rafe," offered Sarah cutting off her brother.

Rafe looked at Callie as she bit the inside of her cheek, sinking deeper against the back of her chair.

"Yeah well let me ask him first and then we'll see" Ward said, which caused Callie to relapse even a bit more. She couldn't imagine herself alone in a car with Topper.

-
-

"What are you doing here?" Rafe asked, entering the bathroom, while Callie backed away.

"Hum sorry I thought the door was locked so-"

"It wasn't," he spoke, his hand placed on the locker. "Now it is"

He locked the door and stood in front of it so she couldn't try and escape him again. They stood here, silently, her heart beating fast.

"Wow what are you gonna do to me Cameron?"

"Nothing. I'm not Topper I don't touch girls," he said and she laughed because he sure did, touch girls. "not when they don't want to at least. I just wanted to talk to you Cal"

"About what? about the fact I'm gonna get raped a second time in a few days?" she said half-whispering so no one would hear.

"Hey Callie I'll talk to him and he won't do a sh-"

"You don't know this. Stop stating things you don't know anything about. You said I would be fine remember? Remember that? But now I won't be at all and you kee-"

She got cut off by Rafe's lips on hers. Her eyes fluttered shut as she let a little squeal out. She didn't want to but for a second, and she felt it, she kissed him back.

She hated the fact she kinda loved it. That kiss tasted so much like tears, now pouring down her cheeks for a few minutes, without her noticing.

But it was also not fair he was kissing her now, because it wasn't the right timing, and especially not while they were having this conversation.

"Hum, Rafe what was that all about?" she questioned, muddled.

"It was to calm you down. I didn't know what to do or what to say so I just did"

"Oh yeah so kissing me was better than words," she laughed ironically. "Like it was the fucking moment? I was telling you how scared I was asshole!"

"To answer to your first question, yes, it was way better, what did you think Sanders?" he teased, running his hand through his hair, pretending he didn't hear she had just called him an asshole.

Callie knew he would have punched anyone who would have called him this, except he didn't punch her, so she breathed out and calmed down. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have yelled at you," she apologised.

"It's fine. I promise that you'll be fine"

"Don't," she mumbled.

"Don't what?"

"Don't promise me things that you don't know anything about. I'll go to this appointment with this asshole and I'll manage to keep him away as much as I can"

"It'll be fine"

"How is it going with your dad?" she asked, this thought popping out of nowhere.

"Why do you care?"

"I don't know I just saw how it was going earlier. You don't have to act like a tough guy Cameron. I know you're not doing well and you honestly don't have to hide it"

"I'm okay," he only replied. "It's not about me"

"If you say so amigo," he laughed to the nickname she gave him and she adjusted a lock of her hair.

"Now I'll head back the table otherwise they're gonna imagine things," he spoke, laughing and walking towards the door.

"imagine?"

"what?" he asked, turning around.

"Nothing" she grumbled, weakly smiling at him.

"Hum whatever don't stay in there forever," he instructed her.

"Yeah or you'll miss me, I know right," she replied, laughing.

"So so so much Sanders you have no idea," he teased, closing the door behind him.

Even if he tried to comfort her, she wasn't completely laid back. She tried to gain some confidence again and joined the table.

She exchanged a few eye contacts with Rafe and tried to think about something else than what was going to happen in a few days. Even though her head was full of panic, a part of her couldn't stop thinking about Rafe.

Why was her heart beating so fast when he was around? What was really that kiss about?