𝟎𝟎𝟑. satan in a v-neck

ANCHOR

____________

MALIA DRAWS LINES through her textbook and papers with a red highlighter, a yellow one laying sideways in her mouth. Mr. Yukimura is talking to the class, but his words are faint. They've been pushed to the far corner of the werecoyote's mind; her attention being focused on marking the things she does or doesn't understand— which is almost everything.

"Malia." She hears her name and pauses, looking up to see the teacher waiting for an answer. Scott and Stiles turn in their seats to watch her. Malia glances at them and stays still, unsure of what to say. Abruptly, a ringing fills the room.

"Scott, phones off." Mr. Yukimura demands, and the teenager obliges. He then goes on to ask Malia more questions about history. "Malia? One of our greatest presidents. Gettysburg address?"

The girl nods, placing the red highlighter she was holding on top of the yellow highlighter in her mouth, biting down on it with her teeth. Malia begins flipping through her textbook and moving her papers off to the side, searching for whatever they were supposed to be talking about. Kira, who is sitting to Malia's right, waves her hand in the air, trying to get her dad to call on her instead.

Suddenly, someone else's phone rings. "Phones off. Everyone." Mr. Yukimura looks to the werecoyote once again. "Malia?" Her lips stay practically glued shut. He sighs, "Does anyone else know?"

Everyone else raises their hands. Malia awkwardly glances around before slumping down in her seat. They hear another phone beep, and Mr. Yukimura shouts for all devices to be shut down, irritation evident in his tone.

"Dad, that was yours." His daughter tells him, lowering her arm. He whispers a small "oh" before turning to grab his phone out of his jacket pocket.

"Scott, call Lydia." Mr. Yukimura reads.

The Alpha looks to Stiles, concern washing over both of their faces. Kira and Malia watch them silently, and so do their classmates. However, Mr. Yukimura clears his throat and decides to dismiss the message, continuing the rest of the lesson.

As soon as the bell rings, however, Scott and Stiles rush out of the classroom, leaving the kitsune and werecoyote by themselves. Kira and Malia decide to pay no attention to the boys and stop by their lockers before meeting their friends for lunch.

Malia places her math book into her locker just as her friend shuts hers. "What?" she asks, giving her an oblivious look.

Kira shows her a sympathetic face. "Malia, bring it back out."

Malia sighs, going on to try and convince Kira to let her leave it, which is unsuccessful. The werecoyote huffs and quickly grabs the book, slamming her locker door. Kira places her hand on Malia's forearm, leading her down the hall and through the exit.

They reach the cafeteria to find Allison and Isaac already seated at one of the tables. Allison has a book laid out in front of her, while Isaac seems to be uncomfortable with the silence. Kira, who is still dragging Malia by her jacket sleeve, leads them over to the two betas. Malia takes a seat beside Isaac, sitting across from Allison while Kira sits next to the brunette.

"Hey. Where's Scott and Stiles?" Allison questions with a light smile.

Kira shrugs her shoulders as she purses her lips. "Deaton texted my dad and told Scott to call Lydia. Maybe they went to find her?"

Allison stiffens at the mention of the strawberry blonde. "Is she okay?"

"Maybe it had something to do with Derek," Isaac puts forth. "Lydia volunteered to stay with him last night when we dropped him off at the animal clinic."