Chapter 13

Gabriel

The stir of the curtains woke me, and the light breeze brought all of my senses to life. Eyes still closed, my skin prickled in the cool air and I could smell her in the room.

Who, I didn't know – but it was a female.

My body responded even further with that knowledge, rousing my mind at the proximity of another wolf. It had been a week now since I'd fed my appetite.

She must've come through the window.

Trying to keep my breathing controlled, I listened. Whoever this was did a good job of staying silent as she circled my rooms. I could almost place her by scent alone – apples, dirt, lake water –

Valarie.

Momentarily floored by surprise, my eyes opened just enough to see her silhouette lingering by my dressing table. I had to fight back excitement and control my wolf as he fought inside of me to chase, tackle, mate her.

She was the one doing the stalking tonight, and I found it exhilarating. Women had plotted against me before, trying to work their way to my rooms, my bed, but none had ever been so forward as to walk right in.

Or climb in, rather.

Valarie

An expensive watch, cuff links, pens and paper, a small carved wooden bird.

My fingers ran over everything lightly. These were the king's belongings, and I was in his room.

It was exciting and terrifying. But I'd made up my mind. Ana was right – best to just get it out of the way (and out of my system).

After the morning at the lake I hadn't been able to get Gabriel off my mind. The fact that he was the Alpha, the king, lingered, but it was more than that. All formality had dissipated when we'd wrestled in the water, and we were just two wolves fighting for dominance, playing.

When was the last time I had felt so free?

I knew the answer, but didn't want to think about it, and closed my eyes to fight back the memories. Instead my fingers stroked the carved surface of the wooden bird. It was a strange thing to have surrounded by so much finery, but I couldn't pretend to understand royalty. I was just an omega.

My ears pricked at the sound of rustling, and I spun.

Gabriel was still in bed – a huge bed, almost double the size of Sophia's – but he was no longer stretched out on his stomach.

Instead he was on his back, propped up on his elbows, watching me with heavy lidded eyes.

He wore a shirt that hung open at the chest and pajama pants. The nights were cooler now. My mouth watered at the sight of his body lounging in the mess of blankets, but I found myself frozen, caught out.

"Did you come through the window?" he asked in a low voice.

I nodded, stepping forward and taking in more of his bare chest. His skin was fair, hair tousled. He grinned up at me as I reached the end of the bed.

"And what exactly," he continued, propping himself up further, "did you plan to do with me, little one?"

The timbre of his voice sent a shiver up my spine. But I needed to stay in control. It was the only way I could see this working – I would willingly give myself up, but I'd be in control the whole time. That way I wouldn't be a simpering mess like all the other women when it was over.

Placing one hand on the bed, I leaned forward and crawled until I could settle myself over his hips, keeping my eyes on his. Gabriel didn't move, the expression on his face one of hunger and a bit of...wonder?

"I didn't want to stop playing earlier today," I whispered, bracing my hands on his abdomen because I had nowhere else to put them. His muscles jumped under my touch and I shivered.

"Playing?" he murmured, eyes darkening. Before I knew what was happening he had grabbed my hips and turned us, pinning my body into the bed. I gasped as he settled between my legs. "You think this is a game?" he growled, grinding his pelvis into mine.

I could feel him starting to get hard, and fought back a whimper. With one hand Gabriel yanked at my hair just enough to tip my head back, and then he ran his nose up the length of my neck, breathing deeply.

"The things I want to do to you little one. You've put yourself in a dangerous position tonight."

I was practically vibrating now with need. My legs widened unconsciously and Gabriel's grin sharpened in the shadows.

He traced a light path from my hip, up my waist, and to my breast, giving it a firm squeeze that made me cry out. Dipping the hand under my shirt quickly, he ran a thumb over my nipple and tweaked it quickly. I gasped and arched up, whimpering, but not sure what to do next. What was the point of all those dirty books I read if I couldn't even get further than being fondled in bed? I had to get control back.

With a growl, I wrapped my legs around his waist and pulled myself up just enough to bite his neck. Gabriel's entire body stiffened and he huffed in surprise. I pressed a hand against his chest and felt him shiver.

Without warning the king untangled himself and sat up, knees wide between my legs, his gaze dark and brow furrowed.

"You've never done this before?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"You're an adventurous little wolf, to willingly come to my bed. Don't you know what I do to women like you?"

"I had no problem keeping up with you this morning," I answered in a fit of bravery, sitting up so that my breasts were pushed forward. His gaze dropped to them quickly, their undersides exposed from when he shoved my shirt up. Gabriel reached out and ran his hand under the swell of them. My nipples hardened even more and I arched my back further, seeking his touch.

"Eager girl," he said with a glance upwards. Then he pulled back again and my courage flagged at the doubt on his face. "I don't want to hurt you," he said quietly, more to himself than to me. "It's been too long – I won't be able to hold back."

Without a second though I climbed onto his lap so that he had to sit back on his haunches. I could feel his hard, hot length against my inner thigh and ground my hips down. The hand on my waist tightened.

"You're my leader," I murmured close to his ear, nipping at that sensitive spot again that had made him shiver earlier. "So lead me."