Chapter 15

The man who strode into the ballroom carried himself with too much confidence. He held a smirk upon his face, grabbing a champagne glass off of one of the trays, gulping it down as he walked towards me and Francis. His company of ten, dark, nasty looking men trailed behind him. I just knew then and there this was not going to end well. Biting into my cheek a bit to keep my temper from rising, I walked to the edge of the platform. Francis followed my lead, and after a few moments, Dominic was in front of us, the small flight of stairs that led up to the platform keeping the distance. He held his smirk while I kept my poker face as he exaggerated a fancy bow before us, making his company snicker.

“Your majesties,” he said, his voice lined with sugar-coated venom, “it is an honor to be in the presence of the children of two of the finest men that have ever lived. But I am surprised to see that it is you, Queen Eleanor, and not your brother Da-“

I held up my hand, silencing him and bringing all the attention to me. All eyes waited for what I was about to do. From the corner of my right eye, I saw Francis give me a slight nod, signaling me to continue. When I unleash my temper and wit, I have no reign, but this time, I must tread carefully.

“Speaking the name of the banished prince is forbidden in Alendar, your Grace. The consequences for such an offense are quite severe. I am surprised that such news about the succession did not reach your ears. Ambassadors from Bellumigne who reside in my court have assured me long ago and my father before me that they and all the other kingdoms were aware of the order passed by our Parliament. But tell me this,” I continued, walking a few steps down the platform, “Why is it that your show up now? I am sure I was not expecting any visitors from Bellumigne.”

Dominic let out chuckle, widening the eyes of the court who watched in anticipation and anxiety. He grabbed his chin, rubbing it a bit before looking up at me, and I nearly had to hold onto something to keep my balance. His eyes were so familiar, a piercing blue that was much darker than Francis’ lighter ones but fitted perfectly with Darien’s.

“The child has become a ruler,” he said, “you never perceived me to become so strong.”

What the hell?

“I beg your pardon? I do not recall having met your before. And I am sure I would remember you because I remember just about any fool who walks into my home and tries to make me look small,” I replied with a small smile, getting some hopeful looks from a few court members. But the battle raged on.

“You were very young, Your Majesty. About five or four years of age, if I am correct. Always doting over your mother despite the fact that she really didn’t give a damn about you.”

At that, I tilted my head with an eyebrow raised. I heard the sound of sword beginning to be unsheathed from behind me, and I turned slightly to Francis angry and ready to interfere. My guards behind him and around the platform were on the ready as well, but I rose my hand to stop them. That was signal one. If, when my hand lowers, I hold out only two fingers, it means to strike. This was my own battle, and I shall try to win it without any help.

“Yes,” I admitted, “she didn’t give a damn about me. And she still doesn’t, but the concern about having the love of a mother to whom I am nonexistent is no longer a matter to me. It hasn’t been in twenty years. My concern now is on ruling a country, keeping my people safe from any possible threats and trying to improve trading relations. I am sure, your Grace, that you did not come all the way from Bellumigne to insult a ruler. I will let you off with a warning not to enter Alendar unless on official terms because I swear on the grave of King Michael the Just, my ancestor, that I will personally see to it that you are no longer capable speech. Do I make myself clear?”

Everyone in the room was in silence that you could hear a pin drop. The court was both in awe but also in shock. Dominic’s company was stunned as well, looking at one another before looking into Dominic’s back as they waited for what he was about to say. What I loved was that Dominic’s smirk was gone, but I didn’t like the menacing look he was giving me. I held a look that was controlled, unmoved by his efforts to scare me; to make me weak. I looked up from his stare to find Katarina fanning herself, looking from both me and Dominic. She looked frightened and scared, the complete opposite of what I had suspected her to be. The women beside her whom I assumed to be her friends tried to keep her calm, probably saying words of comfort. My attention was drawn back to Dominic when he began to speak.

“I shall go, Queen Eleanor, but on one condition. I would like to see the Queen Mother. For old time’s sake. Surely you understand,” he said, turning away from me to scan the crowd for Katarina, but luckily, a tall man stood in front of her, keeping her hidden, but I could still see her. She was frightened, trying to keep her breath under control. Yes, I did hate her. I despised her with my whole entire being. But I wasn’t as merciless as one may think. I wasn’t going to watch her be tormented by the past. With Dominic’s back to me, I made eye contact with one of Katarina’s friends, mouthing to her to take her from the ballroom. She would hopefully be smart enough to have guards accompany them back to Katarina’s quarters. She nodded, gently holding Katarina’s arm as they left the room through a secret door behind one of the pillars.

“That will not be possible, your Grace. My mother is actually in the countryside, visiting the monastery. She has lately wanted to spend time in the solitude of God. And I would say that you are welcome to see her another time, but I won’t because you have already presented yourself to be someone who I wouldn’t enjoy seeing again in my kingdom. Guards, see to it that Lord Mandrecedonia and his company is escorted safely to the ports. Wait until the ship has fell over the horizon before you return.”

Two guards came to stand on either side of Dominic, who looked at me in disbelief. His company of ten was also surrounded by my men. They, too, threw me looks of anger, struggling in the unyielding hold of my finest guards. The struggling continued as they were moved through the parted crowd and out of the room and out of my kingdom.

“You swim too deep, girl! You swim into waters so deep that the darkness is all that is around you! Try too hard and you shall fall just as your father did! Nothing can stop the tides that rage upon your shores. You are nothing but a girl with a crown upon her head,” shouted Dominic as he was dragged away.

When one makes me angry, I’m like a guard dog on a leash, wanting to be let go. Now, the dog was off the leash, and the bitch was going to have at it. I sped down the remaining steps and onto the floor, the clicking on my shoes turning the attention to me. “I swim deep because I am able to! I have learned to breathe in the darkest depths so that I could swim deeper and deeper! The thing about the tides is that they turn, and I will take them turn in my favor! And I am a woman! I have never had the chance to be a girl, and by God, I am grateful! And how dare you, you vile excuse for a human being, dare threaten me! You threaten me in my home and in front of my guests! And yes, I do wear a crown, but that is not all. My word is the law and your word is nothing!”

I huffed and puffed, trying to catch my breath from my rampage of words. Dominic just spat at the floor before the doors closed and took him away from my sight. Turning on my heel, I turned to find the crowd of Alendarians and Torvans watching me with looks of bewilderment. Francis looked upon me from the platform with a proud smile and Buckingham held a stoic, straight face when I turned my eyes to glance upon him, but he nodded his head in approval of my actions. Before I could open my mouth to address the people, a sudden shout came from the mass.

“Long live the Queen!”

Soon, everyone followed that one man’s lead, raising glasses and fists in the air shouting for my long reign. I didn’t smile with triumph, however, as I would have usually. I was humbled to know that what I have done these past five years has paid off. When the sun rises tomorrow, our march will be halfway to the channel. There will the battle commence. And there, there I will come face to face with the worst enemy anyone could have.

An enemy who knows you. Who grew up with you. Who wanted to be everything you were. Who knew how to break you. Who you loved.

An enemy who was family.