Chapter 9: Sudden Hiking Trip, Part 2

The morning sun awakens, bringing with it an orange and purple-tinted shore on the western coast of Canalave City. But the endless freezing blizzards of Mt. Coronet continue to rage on, with only herds of Mamoswine and Abomasnow plowing through endless amounts of sheer white snow. The caves underneath hold deep, branching caves that sprawl endlessly, sheltering both hikers and swarms of Zubat, and cold water will occasionally drip down onto whoever is below its frost-covered icicles.

Square on your forehead. The feeling sends a chill down your spine, forcing you to instantly spring up straight. What time is it? You still can't see anything. Unable to get a feel of your surroundings, you breathe out an audible yawn and lie back down on the sleeping bag. Too fatigued from the aches on your back, you push everything out of your mind and hug your Furret pillow. It smells better and warmer than usual. You give its hair a good ruffle and it... hugs you back?

"...-say this, [Y/N]... I love being with you. More than anyone else."

"Uh. C-Cynthia?"

She slowly opens her eyes, and was briefly confused before realising who she was unconsciously wrapping her arms around. She quickly pulls back and scurries over to the other side of the tent, still struggling to see you, and pretty much anything else around her. She yawns and rubs her eyes, before turning red as a tomato once she clears up her vision.

"[Y/N]!? What are you doing? And what am I doing? I feel really sleepy. What time is it right now?"

"Just breathe for a second, you can ask me the questions later. I was just sleeping, nothing to worry about."

"But why- *yawn* were we...?"

She stares at you for an answer, but all you can do is break it, to which she turns silent, feeling a little too energised to go back to sleep. You two end up agreeing to sit outside to cool down a little bit. While you're getting comfortable with snacking on a rock, Cynthia decides to stretch and take in the fresh air around.

"You know, I think we can reach Spear Pillar today. Yesterday might have been a flop, but I'm sure we can manage on the second, don't you think?"

She's probably asking you a serious question, but her enthusiasm is too adorable for you to actually think about it.

"Sure."

"On a separate note, did you hear? There's gonna be a huge festival in Alola later this year. I bought a ticket already, since they say they may be visited by the Pokemon incarnations of the sun and moon! Isn't that exciting to think about?"

"... Yeah. Any chance it might just be a marketing thing?"

"Hmm, I don't think so. I mean, we have The Creation Trio here in Sinnoh, so I don't think it's a scam or anything."

"I guess you're right. You'll be going alone, the-"

Cynthia interrupts you with a drowsy breath, leaning in closer to you. Feeling a bit sleepy yourself, you decide to let her do what she wants.

"Yeah, I think so. As much as I want to take you with me, I don't think I'll be able to. My parents wouldn't know, and my grandparents are, well. They're them."

"Lots of people are gonna feel lonely here without you, y'know. I know I will. Are Gabite and Togepi coming along?"

"Well, yeah. I can't just leave them with my grandparents, they wouldn't know what to do. Don't worry about me! I'll be just fine while I'm travelling; I'll have to get used to it if I want to be an archaeologist, after all."

"That's not exactly what I'm worried about."

"Hm? Then why the long face, [Y/N]? You can share it with me, if you'd like. I'll keep my lips sealed, though I can't guarantee the same if Gabite hears about it."