CHAPTER 70

'NO!'

Sir Tate screamed with outreached hands when the Duchess was pushed off the cliff. Yet nothing was heard. His voice wouldn't come out no matter what he tried.

Blood dripped from his forehead as he crawled on the dirt. His men were also severely injured by the attack.

When he regained consciousness, the Duchess was being held by the neck at the edge of the cliff.

The Duchess didn't look intimidated by the enemy and stared straight at him with unwavering eyes.

'It's me you want. Let them go' were her final words before she was killed.

It was neither a plea of mercy for her life nor pointless threats using statuses.

It was a bargain.

She tried to save the lives of his men at the cost of her own.

And willingly sacrificed herself for their sake.

Sir Tate tried to lift himself up to look at the face of the man who killed her.

The leader of the assassins was the most dangerous opponent he had ever faced. He had a peculiar aura with green magic. It was something he had never seen before.

But one thing was for sure, defeating him will not be an easy feat.

"Don't leave any witnesses. Let them see how they have failed in safeguarding their treasure" Ordered the head assassins to the other set of men.

Soon all of the snake masked assassins disappeared into the night without leaving any trace.

The rest of the men left behind began dragging all the Frost Knights and threw them into a human pile. They seemed to be at a lower level than the snake-masked assassins.

"Let's pile em' up and burn em' " He could roughly hear them talking. 

Sir Tate's head started to throb from his head injuries. He started losing consciousness owing to the loss of blood.

There were zero to nonexistent chances for his survival at this point. It would take a miracle if he did.

Sir Tate closed his eyes resigning to his fate.

He remembered the young Duchess's figure as she fell to her death.

If he were to be given another chance, he would pledge his undying loyalty to her.

He fell asleep hoping.

Hoping for a miracle to occur.

'This is usually where the hero comes and saves the heroine' Is what I was thinking of when I was pushed off the cliff.

My loose hair fluttered before my eyes as I fell backwards.

'That's right. I'm not the heroine of this world. That was someone else'

I could feel the gravity pull my body towards the earth.

'There is no hero in this world who will come to save me'

The sound of the waves behind me was getting closer and closer.

'But...'

The sky illuminated beautifully when the thunder struck again.

'I don't need no damn hero to save me'

I reached my hands below and pulled out my dagger.

'I make my own life and only I get to decide how it ends...'