Chapter 34

Damon called her as soon as she landed in Portland.

"Elena finally transitioned," he announced, sounding calm enough that Esmeray had no doubts that this was true, even if it had taken awhile to hear about it. "She's doing a bit better."

"I'm really sorry I wasn't there," she sighed, moving her suitcases onto a small trolley and making her way to the exit. "I just landed, you called at the right time."

"Ah, don't worry, you told us you were gonna go and you did. I'm proud you stuck with your word and did what was best for you. Elena isn't going to feel resentful about that, she knows you'll be there for her if she needs you specifically. How was the flight, though?"

"I felt better this time, but planes are definitely not my favorite mode of transportation."

She could tell Damon was smirking when he asked, "Why are you even scared? If it starts to crash, you can use magic to save everyone. Supergirl mode."

Esmeray shrugged, holding the phone against her cheek with her shoulder as she dragged the suitcases out the main doors. "Doesn't change the fact that I'm in a very heavy tube flying miles up in the sky. I feel confined and frankly, this makes all my trust issues flare up."

"Just join the mile high club with Klaus and you'll feel better. You'll associate planes with sex and not with fear."

Esmeray turned beet red, glad he couldn't see it while she looked at the long line of cars waiting outside. "How about you do it with Elena first and if you like it, I'll try it."

Damon snorted. "Bold of you to assume I haven't already smashed someone in a plane."

"I've seen into your mind, jackass, I know you haven't."

"Mmm, fine, but it would be a fun thing to try. I bet Klaus has done it."

"Surprisingly, no. You know who I think has done it? Elijah. He seems like the kind of guy to fly on a private jet surrounded by hot flight attendants. I bet he'd ask them all politely to reach their hands down his pants."

"Wouldn't doubt it. Hell, if I was one of the flight attendants, I'd offer. Have you seen that guy? I swear, he's the one that makes me think I might be bisexual sometimes. If you weren't a hybrid, I'd be pushing you to be Elijah's bunk buddy instead of Klaus's. But then again, he seems like the type to be very giving, and you hate that."

"Well, I just don't prefer to be the one receiving any sort of pleasure, I like to give it instead— that thrills me a lot more than laying down and feeling someone else doing their thing. Elijah and I would be fighting over who gets to top because we both want to be the one making the other feel nice. I'd probably force him to be a bottom."

They both started to laugh, and Esmeray took only a brief moment to wonder what the people around her must be thinking listening to just her side of the conversation, before deciding she didn't care what they thought. "So how are you getting to your lady friend?" asked Damon once the laughter died down. "Can you teleport?"

"She's actually coming to pick me up. You should know by now that I can't teleport, though that sounds like it would be nice. Her father said it's alright if I stay there for a couple of days while Anya finishes getting her stuff sorted together for our trip."

"Ooh, just remember to use a silencing spell if you—"

"Hilarious," she said, rolling her eyes, but perking up once she saw the run-down truck that Anya drove. "She's here. Bye, Damon, take care." She hung up as she moved down the line of cars, dragging the suitcases with her, smiling even more when she saw Anya coming out to greet her.