Chapter 41 - Red Protocol

Alex arrives at the DEO with Alura still in her arms, about 15 minutes after she left Kara's apartment. Alex decided to just briskly walk the short distance to the DEO, instead of driving. As much as Alex would have loved to have driven, she didn't have her car with her, nor did she think that requesting a DEO agent to come pick her and Alura up, would be a good idea. Alex didn't think that Alura was in a state to be separated from her arms for even a second. So, Alex just decided to keep Alura tucked close to her, trying to comfort her niece, and reassure her that everything is going to be okay, while trying to get to the DEO on foot as quickly as possible.

When Alura and Alex arrive at the DEO, it is close to 6PM. Usually at this time in the evening the facility would be mostly quiet, with a large bulk of the agents having come off of their shifts a while ago, but that isn't the case currently. Currently Alex can see many agents all making themselves busy with their assigned tasks, preparing the DEO facility. This is all because red protocol isn't just as simple as being an alert to the DEO to let everyone know that Supergirl has been exposed to red Kryptonite, but it also puts certain measures in place, both for Supergirl's safety, and the DEO agents as well as the general publics too. These measures include, locking Supergirl in a specially built cell, with sun light emitters, which are turned red, stripping Supergirl of her powers. Then this cell is guarded by two fully armed DEO agents, with non-lethal weapons of course. Then after that, if Supergirl were to escape and get through the two guards, she would then have to break through a nth metal lined door and wall. But as the whole cell, and guard area is lined with several censors and cameras, by the time Supergirl would have a chance to make an attempt to break through the door and wall, DEO agents would have been put on alert and gather on the other side of that wall, this time with kryptonite lethal weapons. This is obviously the part of the protocol that Alex is the least comfortable with, as at the end of the day, no matter how out of control Supergirl may be if she were to break out, she is still her sister, she is still Kara. So as a measure to make sure these weapons are only used in an extreme last resort, J'onn and Alex are the only two people who can access the vault to allow the DEO agents access to arm themselves with the Kryptonite weapons. Then outside of the measures to keep Supergirl contained, red protocol puts the DEO into complete lockdown, with the only people being allowed in or out having to be approved by Alex or J'onn. Several agents are also placed on standby in the armoury to deploy out into National City at a moments notice, if any threat occurs while Supergirl remains incarcerated, while all tech and research is put into complete lockdown. All in all, red protocol just really puts the DEO into a crazy state.

Alex walks through the DEO facility with Alura still in her arms, her head tucked into her neck. Agents are crossing in front of Alex's path, going from room to room, moving various things about, all focused on their own tasks. Alex just makes her way to the control hub of the DEO where she sees Winn sitting, looking very worried.

"Winn!" Alex says.

Winn looks up and a flash of relief appears on his face upon seeing Alex. Winn then however notices Alura, and how she clearly has been traumatised by everything, and then sadness crosses his face.

"Alex." Winn says, standing up from his seat and walking over to the older Danvers sister.

"How is she?" Alex asks.

"She is still unconscious. J'onn is currently staying by her side in the cell with her, with the red sun lights turned on." Winn explains.

"Okay good." Alex nods, "Has anyone began to examine Kara?"

"J'onn has been waiting for you, as no one is more qualified in regards to Kryptonian biology than you, or perhaps your mother." Winn explains.

"Right." Alex nods again. "Could you take Alura?"

"Sure." Winn replies with a sad smile.

Alex then tries to move Alura from her arms, but Alura just clings tight to her neck, not wanting her aunt to let her go.