XX

"You're not usually one for surprises

"You're not usually one for surprises." I was the only one who found my voice among the group. I wasn't shocked to see her here. I had been the one to ask her to come, after all, I was just surprised that she actually showed up, let alone two days earlier than I thought she would.

"Well, I wanted to make an entrance." Mom was smiling like any of this was even remotely normal or expected. The boys were all staring at her in shock. None of them had seen her since they all left in their respective time frames. One by one, Mom had to watch her sons leave just as I had to watch my brothers. She was only looking at me. I think she feared she might have a breakdown if she looked at any of the boys.

"You want some coffee?" I asked, pushing myself off the doorway.

She hummed. "I'd love some." She followed me into the kitchen and casually sat down at the counter.

"What the fuck is going on?" Emil asked. He slowly walked into the room, as if he was afraid either I or Mom would attack him at any moment. I wouldn't say his suspicion was fully unfounded. I may not remember much from last night, or even be sure it happened, but I did vaguely remember Emil admitting that he was scared of me, which made me happier than it should.

"What do you mean?" Mom asked innocently. I knew her well enough to see the explosion bubbling just under the surface of her calm exterior. "All I'm doing is sitting in my apartment having a cup of coffee with my daughter," I smirked but didn't say anything.

"I mean, last I heard you were in Vegas for a month and had abandoned your daughter for at least that long. So again I ask, what the fuck is going on?"

Mom looked at me with a certain spark in her eyes, and I just laughed a little and shook my head. Me and my Mom may not be on good terms, but if there was one thing that we could agree on, it was bitterness towards my brothers. They screwed us both over, in different ways. I was never the type to be civil with people I didn't care for, and I doubt Mom even knew the meaning of the word. When we were angry about the same thing, we were a dangerous team.

"Who is that?" Moms eyes had quickly found Lily, and any faux innocence she had been sporting had dropped like a fly on a hot day.

"My name is Lily. It's nice to meet you?" She smiled at Mom and stuck out her hand but my mother just glared at her.

"You must be the wife." Her tone dripped with disgust, and I found myself feeling a little bad for Lily, even though she deserved it. She and my brother didn't invite Mom to the wedding. Such a big moment in my brother's life, and Mom wasn't even invited. I swallowed any sympathy I had for Lily. She didn't deserve a second of it.

"Uh, yes, I'm Emmett's wife." She shared a nervous look with my brother whose head was in his hands in pure mortification.

Mom hummed and took the coffee from my hands. It was almost 5 at night, but I didn't bother to mention why coffee was a bad idea. If Mom couldn't sleep tonight, she'd just take shots until she could.