happy birthday, xiao

//not part of the story / will not affect the flow. just felt soft on his bday email.//

×

it was like any other day. patiently waiting for xiao to come back from his duties.

for some weird reason, you felt like making his favorite dish. you couldn't shake the feeling off of your existence, so you decided to ask verr if you could use the kitchen.

she said yes, obviously because you are xiao's guest, but with her answer, you swiftly went by to the kitchen.

there were a bit of complications on making his favorite dish.. as he described it as.. eating a cloud.

"a cloud.." you mumbled as you grabbed some almonds.

"oh well.. its the thought that counts, right?" you told yourself as you started to cook, attempting to succeed.

it took you literal hours to complete the dish, and you tried your hardest not to make it look as bad.

but, it was finally done.

the sun was about to set, so you hurriedly ran outside to set a little table for you and xiao to dine.

it didn't take long to prepare, and the only thing that was missing was

xiao himself.

'speak out my name if you ever need me' you suddenly recalled.

you had some uncertainties to call him out, but he was taking a bit too long

you sighed as you mumbled a very small, "xiao."

you closed your eyes, wondering if he heard even the smallest of call.

"what's all this?" you suddenly heard a voice

you slowly opened your eyes to see none other than xiao.

"i wanted to have dinner with you." you suddenly blurted out, not thinking it through.

"is that so. if we must, then i have no reason to decline." he said as he sat down on the seat provided to him.

"i made you almond tofu." you said.

"i can see that."

"whats the occasion?" he asked.

".. i dont know.. i just.. felt like making you almond tofu." you mumbled.

you were too shy to face the adepti, so you kept your head low.

xiao surprisingly smiled with the thought of you making him his favorite dish.

"i will enjoy it." he said as he took a bite.

"..."

silence.

'is it not good?' you panicked internally.

"its like it should be." he suddenly broke off the eerie silence. "like a cloud."

"im glad.." you said as you sighed. as soon as you were about to face him, xiao suddenly placed a crystal fly on your hair.

"oh what?" you asked in surprise.

"it looks good on you." he said which made you blinked twice

"your hair." he said as he pointed over the crystal fly.

"o-oh i see." you managed to mumble.

"can i be excused for a moment" you quickly said and dashed off.

you ran up the stairs, quickly enough to reach verr's office. you swore you were as red as a silk flower.

"(first name)? is something wrong?" you heard verr say.

"ah no no. i was just very flustered."

"i see. did xiao like your gift?" she asked.

"huh? what gift?" you told her as you were clueless.

"its his birthday today. the almond tofu you made. it was his gift, right?"

and with that information, you hurriedly jumped each flight of stairs you've encountered.

"how did i not know it was his birthday?!" you loudly told yourself as you were racing back to your table.

but surprisingly, he wasn't there when you came back.

you saw a bunch of crystalflies on the table with a note next to it.

'(first name).

i decided i would find a crystalfly for you— to put in your hair. i thought that... it would look nice.

the next thing i knew, i had caught several more than i intended. i hope you do not mind.

if you wish to meet me again, speak my name.

i do not care much for birthdays and celebrations, and i do not wish to be around large groups of people.

to be able to spend some time with you is enough.'

after you read the letter, you looked at every corner possible to see if he was there, watching.

but then you remembered. he asked you to call out his name.

and so you did. loudly.

"xiao!"

"you didnt have to say it that loudly." he said as he appeared right in front of you.

"why didn't you tell me?" you asked him immediately.

"i would still be spending the day with you even if i didn't say it." he mumbled.

"but still."

"i could've gotten you a better gift." you sadly said as he suddenly dragged you up the balcony.

"there is no better present, than spending time with you." he said as the sun was about to set. he was gazing out the sunset, while you were gazing at him.

"it looks beautiful." you said.

"it does." he managed to say, still looking at the sun.

"happy birthday, xiao."

"i hope you had a nice one," you told him

"this is one of the best."

×

rel: :( soft hours. good night.

edit: the birthday letter was from mihoyo.. i guess this was a bit of a spoiler.. i deeply apologize. i forgot time zones existed and asia was ahead of a day. :((